Sign in to follow this  
Guest samuraislady

information research question

Guest samuraislady

Hi,

I love doing research especially individual medical research(illnesses, drugs, etc.) I don't have a lot of money for databases, so is there an area of reseach I could do without havinf to subscribe to any of them? Perhaps genealogy?

Also, on the genealogy front, do you have to get the information, or just tell the client where is is? Both maybe?

Very confused I know, even for a Monday, but any advice anyone has will be greatly appreciated :)

Gaynor

I've only done research for myself but Wikitree is a great resource for genealogical tracking and creating family trees. I started w/my family's surname (I happen to know the family name was changed when my great-whatever immigrated from England in 1806). That led me to some unknown relatives who had more insights on their branches of the tree through marriage. :) I've also used Ancestry.com to fill in some blanks, I can't tell you anything professional, though!

• Like 1

Guest samuraislady

Thanks Lily,

I wish a few of my ancestors would have come to N A before us, as it may have made searching easier. But the only other member of our family that moved to Canada was my Uncle Pat about ten years before we did. I have a picture of my ggggrandmother whom I'd love to know more about, but of course the female lines are more hidden than the male. From her clothes I'd say it was taken in about 1860.

I know this post has nothing to do with VAing but it seemed appropriate to answer it here ( to my half awake brain ;)

Gaynor

I've never did any genealogy research so won't be of much help here. Saying that, my mom was adopted and she actually found her mother and some brothers and sisters somehow. Not sure how she figured it out. Anyhow, the family didn't want my mom to contact her mother which was kind of sad in my opinion as the mother was 80 years old. But dad and her went to her funeral ingognito when she died. Mom thought she'd like one look at her real mother so decided to go to the funeral not expecting any of her unmet brothers or sisters would notice a stranger in the room. Turns out mom looked EXACTLY like her mother and everyone figured out that mom was her daughter at the funeral. One of the brothers was thrilled to meet his new sister (my mom) and they kept in contact until he died. The other brother and sister are still alive but they didn't want to have anything to do with my mom. Anyhow good yet somewhat sad story but one I thought I'd share ;)

vainsiders.jpg
Get your first month for $7 using coupon code: TRYFOR7