Soslady

Anybody Besides Me Stuck? - Hello from South-East Coast of USA

Hi Fellow Virtual Assistants, Newbies, Wish-I-Weres, and I'm-gunna-bees. I'm new to the Insider Club but not to being an online assistant/Professional Organizer. I joined VA Insiders after attending this past spring's online VA Conference (an experience I highly recommend for anyone considering becoming a VA). The motivation and momentum kept me going for months. As fate would have it however, I've gotten stuck in my business development process and can't exactly put my finger on what it is....Ok, so I have some ideas, but maybe don't think or feel like other VAs can relate. When I attend the monthly group coaching sessions, I sit waaaay in the back of class behind the virtual book shelf and quietly take notes and listen. Occasionally I may add humor (anxiety easer) as I sense that I'm not alone in the bookshelf section. Lady Tawnya must know about this section because she makes it a point to call everybody out and put's our doings in Asana - freaks me out/don't know why, it's the stuck thing that I can't fully explain in full affect...

At any rate, I still give myself and fellow VAs encouragement and reminders to be patient and honest. I have a shell of a Wordpress website that I'd love one-on-one feedback, comments, chats, pointers etc. My goals this week include getting 10 home-made business cards printed, 1 blog article completely written, and some pictures uploaded from my cellphone - baby steps, baby steps, baby steps... :flowers:

• Like 1

Hi. I'm a new VA, and I can relate to what you're saying. Sometimes I feel stuck because I haven't gotten any clients yet. I have a lot of administrative experience, but not virtual. So I've been gearing up for this since early this year. I attended VAVS this spring, and you are SO right about the rocket boost that was! So helpful to me. Each week I accomplish more things on my Asana list. LOL (I just got Asana this last week.) I know I'm almost there, and it helps me to see how far I've come and how much I've learned. Last month was my first group coaching session with Tawnya. I did alright with the chat box, but I'm a bit nervous about the microphone next time.

I had a look at your website just now. It's much better than my "shell". (www.itsabouttimeva.com, if you want a good laugh. I hooked up my domain with WordPress and presto I had to do something with the page...baby steps ;) I know there are some resources in the Vault to help with website creation. You might want to check those out, if you have some time. I know I will be doing that within the next month or two, and I'm wading through WordPress for Dummies. So much to learn.

Hope to "see" you in group coaching this month.

Stay well,

Hi Fellow Virtual Assistants, Newbies, Wish-I-Weres, and I'm-gunna-bees. I'm new to the Insider Club but not to being an online assistant/Professional Organizer. I joined VA Insiders after attending this past spring's online VA Conference (an experience I highly recommend for anyone considering becoming a VA). The motivation and momentum kept me going for months. As fate would have it however, I've gotten stuck in my business development process and can't exactly put my finger on what it is....Ok, so I have some ideas, but maybe don't think or feel like other VAs can relate. When I attend the monthly group coaching sessions, I sit waaaay in the back of class behind the virtual book shelf and quietly take notes and listen. Occasionally I may add humor (anxiety easer) as I sense that I'm not alone in the bookshelf section. Lady Tawnya must know about this section because she makes it a point to call everybody out and put's our doings in Asana - freaks me out/don't know why, it's the stuck thing that I can't fully explain in full affect...

At any rate, I still give myself and fellow VAs encouragement and reminders to be patient and honest. I have a shell of a Wordpress website that I'd love one-on-one feedback, comments, chats, pointers etc. My goals this week include getting 10 home-made business cards printed, 1 blog article completely written, and some pictures uploaded from my cellphone - baby steps, baby steps, baby steps... :flowers:

The mere fact you are attending the coaching groups is awesome, pat yourself on the back for that!

Now as for not participating in the accountability part where we share our success/challenges of the month, why do you think that freaks you out? Is it because you are held accountable for the next month to complete whatever tasks you'd say you would do? If that is the case, that's good, maybe then you will get them done ;) Kidding aside, being held accountable is part of completing your goals. And we will let you know if we feel your goals for the month are too much to take on too. You can also be held accountable by just writing them here in the forum like you did above. Saying that I would post the tasks you want to be held accountable for inside our VAinsider member area under this forum area so us VAinsiders see it. :)

Just keep coming back to VAinsiders, you'll worth it if you work it ;)

I know when I was starting out and 'thinking' about building a VA business, I was pretty overwhelmed! I had thought it would be easy...I have a computer, a printer and a phone...how hard can it be?!! Well!! The most important step I found for me was to get going on a business plan. It doesn't have to be anything very substantial, however, the more input and effort you put into it, the better foundation your business will have. Give yourself time to sit down and truly figure out exactly what it is you want for your business. There are some great places online to help out in that area. This business plan builder is a 10-page 'fill-in-the-blanks' type of document: http://www.atb.com I really liked using the Small Business Administration site. You have to log in, but it helps explain the steps (at least it did for me when I last looked at it.)

Try to get a good plan going, including how you will be marketing, who your target market is, etc., and this will help you when you are ready to create your marketing materials including website, etc.

Enjoy...it's a scary, but rewarding, phase of business ownership!!

• Like 2

Soslady, One thing that really helped me was in Tawnya's webinar on getting clients. She mentioned strategies and tactics. I found that enlightening because it leads to a why, what and how.

For example, You want to get more exposure and authority to your website so your strategy is to use blogging and the tactic is to create 1 how-to blog relating to your industry etc. You can have many tactics under different strategies which become your goals.

But by that same token, I think I do understand having a "block". I am moving so slow in creating my own business and I don't know why either. I think accountability is a great motivator. I totally agree with Cathy about defining the market and business plans etc. It's funny, I had intended to write a business plan last year but still haven't written a page!

Irene, if you and anybody else have any questions on WP please do not hesitate to ask or add me to skype. I consider myself an expert on WordPress from administrative uses of it to theming and programming it.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

You are a cyber-angel to offer help with WordPress! I'll be having a look at a lot of online resources, but I know I'm going to have a question now and again. Thank you so much for your expertise!

• Like 1

Hi Soslady! I have been stuck many times in my business development. I can't tell you how many times I've said: "This year, I'm building my website!" or "This year, I'm going to start marketing"... and, none of that happened. Best advice I can give is what you've already said... set goals (realistic goals) and take baby steps and sometimes just sitting in the room listening is the best thing to do too... become a sponge! ( I think I've sat next to you by the virtual bookshelf! LOL)

After quite a few years of being stuck, this year, I finally set goals and took a few giant steps. I began marketing and networking, have met so many wonderful people (some even may become potential clients in the future), redesigned my marketing materials, came up with a whole new marketing plan and my website and blog should be ready to go by next week.

So, hopefully, you were able to obtain the goals that you had set for yourself, but if not, look at them again and there's always tomorrow!

• Like 1