Hi all,

One strategy I have with WordPress, revolving around security, is to install myself an analytics plugin (free) called "Slimstat" and a free security plugin once known as "Better WP Security" (I think it's changed names).

If you set things up well, you can use slimstat to track the pages people visit and even their IP addresses. If you find some fishy behaviour going on such as constant hitting on potentially vulnerable plugin files (you may not even have these installed) or various hits on your login page, you can simply copy the IP; go back to your better wp security and blacklist the IP.

Of course, those two plugins have many more features to explore. Very powerful!

On a related note, is anybody using Slimstat? I am actually using it instead of Google Analytics.

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing Mark, I'm going to have to check those plugins out.

Here are the links to them in case others want to look them up.

iThemes security, formerly, Better WP Security: https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-wp-security/

Slimstat: http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-slimstat/

I use Google Analytics and then use a Wordpress Firewall 2 for my security and I have a few backup systems in place.

• Like 4

It's so important to keep high security on Wordpress and thanks for sharing Mark. I just had a client on one of my servers get their wordpress hacked which resulted in this person's email getting used for spam and getting them blacklisted. So good advice to keep Wordpress not only up to date but also secure via wordpress plugins.

• Like 1

I'm creating my website, so this will be extremely helpful. It's good to know about security and not just how to get the site up and running. This will be great to get it right from the start. Thanks so much!

• Like 3

Thank you loads for sharing, Mark - I gotta say, naively, I hadn't even thought of backing my website up! Jeeeez, there is a LOT to learn!!! I'll be checking these links out pronto!!

:bubbly:

• Like 2

Oh lordy... just installed BPS as a firewall and it seems you need a degree to understand the settings... :blush:

Yes, it's true. Understanding the risks and applying the solution is an entire field of its own. I am starting to do talks on this topic and educating people on it. I can be hard to sell your clients something that prevents disaster rather than add value to their bottom line.

But we have to protect our clients so at the very least, we as VAs, need to understand the risk at hand. The solution is mind boggling but when you understand the pieces it becomes a lot easier.

My advice to you is to know first why are you putting on a firewall? Do you know what an application level firewall is and what it does? This is not only useful for you to know if its the right strategy for the site you are working on, but also for you to explain to your clients.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

• Like 1

Fantastico and other 1-click installs are introducing security risks into WordPress because they use default options that are known vulnerabilities, such as the wp_ database prefix and the Admin user. "Long" installs let you choose your own prefix and username.

Some security measures I have added to my website in progress:

• Password-protecting the wp-login page
  • Deleting the /wp-admin/install.php and readme.html files
  • Moving wp-config up one folder and setting its permissions to 440

I have also used the "Ultimate Security Checker" plugin that checks for vulnerabilities and gives instructions on how to fix them. For those who are not comfortable making manual fixes, the plugin authors also offer a fixing service for a fee.