Start up several questions

Hello everyone! I am just kind of getting started on my own. I have worked in the field for several years, but I have never tried it on my own under my business name. I have worked for other VAs doing work for them, but I have never bagged my own client. Soooo.....

What contracts and paperwork do you have your new clients sign when they sign up with you?

Do you have a new client bundle? What all does it include?

Do you have templates you would be willing to share?

How did you get your first client?

Hi and welcome to VAnetworking! :) I have a two page contract that I wrote up that I get clients to sign. It also includes all my policies and procedures. I don't have a new client bundle but thought about making one to streamline my process. I don't really have any templates as I just have my contract, the VAinsiders Club has over 100 business templates and I've used a few in there when I do need a template for something. I got my first client as a referral from my Mom, founder of VAnetworking. So I lucked out with my first one. Then I found all the clients after that on job boards and have also have gained a few clients from referrals. You can find clients by participating in events both live and online and by hanging out where your target market does.

Oh also, not sure if you have already but Tawnya has a great free download you might want to read over and it will help answer some of your questions http://vanetworking.com/kickstart.pdf :)

Welcome! :) To answer your questions:

What contracts and paperwork do you have your new clients sign when they sign up with you?

I have a contract and non-disclosure agreement that both the client and I sign (I'm a bookkeeper, thus the non-disclosure agreement). The contract includes the basics like my rate, policies, cancellation options, etc.

I include my contract, non-disclosure, and my tax id

Each type of VA will need different templates. I would definitely check out the VA Insiders club templates and then ask specific questions about templates based on the services you provide.

The same way I decided to start Goddess. A sub-contractor I worked with was looking for a p-t bookkeeper for a non-profit she worked with, as well. Future clients have come from a combination of word-of-mouth, postcard mailings, and networking opportunities.

I also suggest you check out the TVE Magazine Archives for additional useful information on being a VA. As always, ask questions as you need to... :)

• Like 2

Great advice Lily and thanks for sharing :) Here's my answers...

I have a contract as well that gets signed before I work with any new client. I also get my money paid up front for the month with all new clients.

Same as Lily above.

I share all my templates with our VAinsiders Club members only. I hope you have a look at our member site and consider joining, you won't be disappointed ;)

I got laid off from a company that went under. I took on all the old clients from that company and finished their projects up for free for them. That kind act brought me 10 fold back and many of the clients stayed with me for further work.