Sign in to follow this  
Danielle

Question about Server Migration and also WordPress Security

Have you ever heard of a WordPress site getting messed up when migrated from one server to the other? I've never had this issue but one of my clients is having this issue. Apparently that is what their developer is saying to them and it has put things at a standstill for awhile and I am now trying to take over.

My client also mentioned that they are now being told that they shouldn't have built their website on WordPress due to a lot of security issues. Which my understanding is if you install the right security plugins and keep it up-to-date and keep your passwords secure then it should be fine. Am I wrong?

Thanks!!!!! :)

Providing exceptional online support services to businesses and entrepreneurs since 2010. Visit my website to learn more.

---

Brand New? Check out the Virtual Assistant Career Program.
Veteran VA? Check out the VAinsiders Club (Job Board, Group Coaching plus extensive training resources)

Hi Danielle,

Has the domain name changed in any way or are they using a folder or sub-folder they weren't using. WordPress binds the site to the exactly domain it was on last time. If you find only the first page works but the other pages lead to errors or the previous host, that's a good indicator you need to change them via the datbase which actually can be hard work and risky.

Another trick to try is to resave your permalinks. This will refresh the special file responsible for managing urls properly. When I set my site up, I created it on local host so my url was http://localhost/wordpress which I used a script to replace it with my domain name.

On the note of security, it is true that because WordPress is open source everybody has access to the same code and it remains vulnerable. I am actually writing some tips you can find on my Google page related to security. Hashing them out over the next two weeks.

Some of these tips will include not having the default wp_ prefix in you database; creating an obscure username and using a password generator to create a very strong password, not using admin; if possible rename the wp-contents folder and even locking people out who attempt to brute force their way in by monitoring failed logins.

• Like 1

Website Design and Digital Marketing Consultations

Feeling tired from trading all your time for money online? Try adding additional sources of leveraged income to your business. Find out how by clicking here.