irlsva

Literally - Struggling with Social Media

Really struggling with this Social Media lark - do you guys write all your own material; how did you start/where did you start? Is it acceptable to keep sharing other people's content for a while while I write my own content - I have no idea where to start and it may be hindering me starting up the actual business.

Sorry if this sounds frantic (not my intention) and any help is massively appreciated. I've read so much on the topic, I feel a bit overwhelmed and am probably over-thinking things.

As always, thanking you in advance.

Ros. x

Edited by irlsva
  • Like 1

Hi Ros,

I write most of mine myself but on occasion I will use PLR for new ideas and short engagement starters.

I know it all seems overwhelming with so many social networks out there like blogging at your own website to trying to stay on top of Twitter, G+, Linkedin, Facebook, Pinterest, etc. What I suggest is just picking one new social network like Facebook (or whatever you like that fits your target market) and just work hard at engaging on it. I usually recommend Facebook, Linkedin and G+ for VAs to network at but it all depends really on who your target market and where they hang out. ie) If your niche is crafty work at home moms the social network I'd recommend would be Pinterest, Etsy, etc.

Either way, try to focus on one social network, engaging on it regularly and connecting with your people. Once you get that one under your belt then focus in on another if time permits (or outsource). I use Hootsuite to keep track of all my posts which gives me some ounce of sanity with their automation.

If you really want to dig deep and focus on your social marketing I will recommend Lynn's course Social Marketing Results. It has been such a supportive community for me in this area and well worth the investment.

• Like 2

vainsiders.jpg

I agree with Tawnya... pick one and engage as much as you can. What works for some people is to designate certain times of day as social media times... see what other people are saying and chime in (kind of like we're doing here). Ask questions to get engagement. Repost, share, etc. Link social media to your blog so that your content goes right into social media. Have fun with graphics.

Hopefully, this isn't overwhelming, and you can find the one social media outlet that you really resonate with (and that your target market is using, too) - and then just jump in and try to have fun. :)

• Like 3

Bless your hearts, thank you so much! I was reading about PLR - wow! I will get this! I've found some new-found determination to succeed in this industry and your words will really help me, thank you both x

It is a little over-whelming yes but I've got my pen and paper at the ready today with my 'Absolutely Must To Do List' ;) I'm gonna give it my best shot, I mean it's just social media, right? :)

• Like 1

Great advice in this thread!

I have been writing my own content and my own blog posts (but have also used some PLR in blogging), but I do share content on Facebook or retweet on Twitter too

I find that I seem to enjoy Facebook and Twitter more than anything else - I'm just now getting the hang of Google+ and Linkedin can be a bit "stuffy" for me sometimes :D

• Like 1