longnhvietnam

Content on Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin)

Hi all,

I am providing Virtual Assistant services. I created Facebook fanpage, Twitter and Linkedin.

I have questions that what kinds of content that I will post on Social Media? And how to distribute the content: how many percents for Virtual Assistant services, how many percents for other information?

Thank you,

• Like 1

I suggest a 20/80 rule. 20% being salesy posts that can make you money and the other 80% being posts that are personal (help followers form a bond with you), educational (help your followers learn something) and helpful post (answering questions and helping your followers)

• Like 4

I'm glad to get this information, too. I haven't yet gotten into blogging or Facebook, so I'm always looking for this type of information knowing I'll be doing it eventually. Thanks.

• Like 1

My suggestion is to analyse the posts of others and reverse engineer. I have gone into some G+ groups and analysed why a post had over +3. It also depends of course on the person postings influence and the context of the message combined with the number of eyes on the group or page.

For example, I joined an Internet Marketing Group where some of the sales pitches were liked a little. Normally these salesy posts wouldn't get a +2 or even a +1. The context here was that it was internet marketers group. There was also a lot of members in that group. Had the person been an authority, they may have gotten more pluses.

I agree with Tawnya on the 80/20 rule. I also believe you have to build up a reputation of sorts on that group before sending them to your blog or affiliate links. This advice also transfers to your own page or group. You do this, in my opinion, by offering valuable posts.

Here's a list I created today of the types of posts that seemed to do well regarding engagement:

• Posting a challenge (you either need a reputation or the group has to be inspired and supportive)
  • Offering a resource (works well if its free and not affiliated)
  • A meaningful infographic (this is a big hitter, best if its unique; you can combine these other rules to the infographic)
  • Motivational or inspiration (can be memes or a link to how a refugee from a war torn country became a top marketer etc)
  • Your own triumphs from overcoming adversity (I posted one today to inspire hope)
  • Busting a myth (it's not the amount of WP plugins, it's the quality etc; those who agree will support this too)
  • Offering a wakeup call or the truth (ie many IMers treat their staff like disposables)
  • Controversial or different opinion (ie treat your staff like family - going against don't get involved - because you spend so much time working, you want to be with people you love)
  • Showcasing pitfalls and warnings (ie My site got de-indexed from Google because of a vulnerability in a plugin)
  • Answer to an age old question (ie We procrastinate because we have not chosen our market and have no focus)
  • Lists (discount codes, links etc)
  • Responsibilities (ie think about the impact your shiny object obsession is having on your children's future)
  • Rememberance (Taking a moment to reflect on what has been and honour memories)
  • Worth Cause (The cause has to be worthy and it helps if you have some pull)
  • Animals (I love cats too but I don't see how they do much for your marketing message; nonetheless, grumpy cat is worth a fortune and it builds your reputation as somebody who offers some "water cooler humour")
  • Admit a problem (others can relate and if they have same problem, they may respect you for speaking out)
  • Make an analysis or come to a conclusion (this can work against you if the analysis is bleak or not what they want to hear)

Hope you can find this useful. I've been doing a lot of research and reverse engineering this December :)

PS Just a warning, I hear facebook is starting to put sanctions on sales pitches on pages.

• Like 6

Wow Mark, awesome list of reasons to post and get some engagement!

Yep as of January FB will be killing any of our sales pitches on our pages. That way of course it makes us have to pay (boost the post) to get them seen by our users. I know a bunch of marketers are moving over to groups instead of pages. Saying that its only a matter of time before FB comes down in groups too and makes us pay for posts there ;)

Here's an article about FB for businesses: https://www.facebook.com/business/news/update-to-facebook-news-feed

FB is free so they need to make money somehow. I think it would be better to just charge everyone if they want a FB page and then allow all their followers to see every newsfeed.

I'm sure all the social networks that are free will eventually find ways to charge people to pitch their wares cause in the end these social networks are a business and need to make money.

Makes me wonder what will be next in marketing and how long we will be able to market freely on the social networks without being charged for it. We have been pretty lucky to have the social networks to market on the past couple of years for free. Marketing usually costs money ;)

• Like 3

Fantastic list, Mark! I'm printing it out for future reference. Thank you for taking the time to put this together and share it with us. Tawnya, you make such good sense. We really are fortunate to be able to use social media for business networking, too. I haven't signed up for a business LinkedIn identity, mainly because the budget is tight for me. I was surprised to find out that Facebook isn't charging for business pages. BTW, I've heard that statistics show that LinkedIn is more successful at getting your posts into the "hands" of your intended audience. Any thoughts on that?

• Like 3

I'm really glad you found it useful, Irene. By all means take advantage. I will use it for myself but not as a service. Missed you on the coaching call today. Hope you are well :D

Tawnya made a good point about us being spoiled with free media. I think facebook's vision was for social interaction so its very likely they are doing this for stopping some of the noise as well as money, I doubt youtube will follow suit because they take advantage of user generated business pitches to generate their own income Hmm, maybe people will move to Google.

Irene mentioned media and business networking. I think networking will still remain very valid and free. Which is actually beneficial to us as service providers.

Anyway just turned midnight HAPPY NEW YEAR lol

• Like 3

In 2014, the largest social network is Facebook and other popular networks include Twitter, Linkedin, and Pinterest, sometime contents on the social media sites seems to be very important and it will help us too,

Edited by swatisoni
  • Like 1

Irene, Linkedin is a great way to market a VA business because most of the people on Linkedin are business oriented unlike Facebook where it is a mix mash of people from kids to moms or bored housewives for that matter ;)

• Like 2