Sign in to follow this  
Danielle

VA Website Copy Stolen.

Have you ever had your copy stolen from your website? I'm re-doing my website and I just decided to Google an important line from my copy to see if it popped up in Google. I ended up finding not one but TWO VAs who have stolen my entire copy from my website. I have reported them both. So frustrating and not what I wanted to wake up to this Sunday morning. One of them even stole all my photos to go with it.

I've had my blog posts stolen from my other blogs, but never thought to check my VA website. So frustrating and I want to make sure I go about responding in a professional matter, but it is quite frustrating.

Funny thing is, I've never really liked the copy on my website. But I guess some people do if they are stealing it.

Providing exceptional online support services to businesses and entrepreneurs since 2010. Visit my website to learn more.

---

Check out our 10 FREE RESOURCES for Virtual Assistants plus DOWNLOAD our Virtual Assistant Start Up Checklist!

Brand New? Check out the Virtual Assistant Career Program.
Veteran VA? Check out the VAinsiders Club (Job Board, Group Coaching plus extensive training resources)

That really bites. I know one of the things you can do is to contact their webhost and let them know that one of their clients has stolen website copy. Most of them will shut the site down.

I found this article months ago and bookmarked it because I thought it was helpful.

http://www.thetarotlady.com/handling-online-plagiarism-without-losing-your-cool-or-your-spirit/

I hope it helps you and you can get this taken care of quickly!

Hugs,

Dawn

• Like 2

Danielle I already posted this at our Facebook group but thought I'd reiterate here for those not on Facebook:

A compliment to you as others think your copy is good enough to steal ;) Good we have copyscape.com to check for these theives. On another note, I'd send an email to the owner first and if that doesn't work, contact their host who should have a policy for this and take down their website.

This is a common occurrence and has happened to myself many times. Problem is it can affect your ranks in Google sometimes for duplicate content although I believe that most times it doesn't because I think goole knows through dates in their database of who had this content first

• Like 1

vainsiders.jpg

Danielle, glad you made the discovery; I know you'll prevail. I believe you've shone a spotlight on a definite exception to the expression, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In the world of Google & websites, this particular imitation (outright copying, I.e.) is not flattering enough to offset the possible negatives.

Thank you for having started this thread because ideas have been contributed for the rest of us to keep in mind.

Hang in there.

• Like 2

I did end up getting everything taken down. So I was happy about that. :)

• Like 1

Providing exceptional online support services to businesses and entrepreneurs since 2010. Visit my website to learn more.

---

Check out our 10 FREE RESOURCES for Virtual Assistants plus DOWNLOAD our Virtual Assistant Start Up Checklist!

Brand New? Check out the Virtual Assistant Career Program.
Veteran VA? Check out the VAinsiders Club (Job Board, Group Coaching plus extensive training resources)