Sign in to follow this  
Misty6t3

My dream job is now a nightmare!

I retired 3 years ago after 30+ years of administrative assistant experience to agency and dept. executives. I recently started working part-time as a VA. I don't want to work more than 20-25 hours a week. I have two clients that I got thru a social encounter with one of them. They are both new at establishing their speaking/teaching businesses. I didn't know at the time what rate to charge or what they wanted from me - neither did they really. Things just grew over the past 3 months. My rate is $12/hour. But I find they want more specific time consuming work from me - research, contacting guests, venues, updating web pages, emails, etc. They both would like it if I worked10-20/hrs. a week. I felt I should be asking at least $18 an hour. I am willing to work 20 hours for one client but not both. How do I drop one? First reaction from one of them when I mentioned the increated rate and max. 10 hours was that it was a huge leap (it is) and that she wasn't sure yet if she would need me for 10 or 20 hours. I know I didn't do my homework before starting to work. I think I have created a nightmare out of what was to be my dream job. Please help!!!

Edited by misty6t3

Hi and first of all welcome to our network here :)

This is the second post I've comment tonight on pricing so I'm thinking I will share our Services Pricing Worksheet which is in excel to help you figure out your hourly rate. (Courtesy of VAinsiders.com. Just one of the 100's of templates and resources included with a yearly membership)
It has easy to fill in blanks to figure out your billable hours and operating costs so you can determine your hourly rate.
You really need to fill this out because I don't know how your business will ever survive on $12/hr. Most VAs nowadays are charging anywhere from $24-40 just to make a profit.
If you have any questions along the way filling it out just ask.
  • Like 3

I hate to say it, but figuring out rates should always be a first priority! It is really difficult to raise rates after you start. As my grandmother always said, "begin as you intend to go on." That being said, be sure and go through the services pricing worksheet and, if necessary, drop your old clients and start fresh with properly priced ones. I also recommend that you go through a business setup list and be sure all of your forms, policys, etc. (and especially your bookkeeping) are all in place ASAP.

• Like 5

Lily you are so right. I have muddled myself here. I am thinking of removing the introductory rate from my website. The intention behind that was to appeal to cold prospects but 100% of my contact form submissions come from those who already know me in some way. In that regard, their is already trust. So it's time to raise the bar.

PS I have never removed it. Now I am established it is giving off a wrong idea about me.

• Like 3

Thanks for your comments. I am formulating my new rates and realize I may lose the clients I currently have, but I'm worth it!

• Like 5

Hi Misty, yup I think you need to increase rates, maybe that way they will realise that 10 hours each is enough for them. If not, then as you say you may lose them but you will find new ones who will pay your rate.

• Like 1