Sign in to follow this  
Kaylala01

Wanting to be a VA...but should I?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and have some questions and would really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I've thought about becoming a VA on and off for the last 3 years. I am now having a baby and will be staying home and I am really wanting to do part time va admin work. Here's my problem...I've never actually been an "administrative assistant". My entire career and experience has been in banking and most recently a client/sales team support role for a high profile/business bank. Basically I work in an office and support the VPs with all their clients needs so they can focus on networking and bringing in more business. It was a one location bank in a highrise downtown so pretty much all of our work and communication with clients was all email, phone and we used a CRM programs to track all client request and work we did for them. Without having actual admin experience (calendar management, booking travel, bookkeeping, blogging,etc) I don't know if I should pursue this field although I have always been in a support role and LOVE being "behind the scenes". I guess I am unsure of what I should offer as services. I wish there were some sort of training so I have some hands on experience. do you guys think I should pursue this or try to find a job working as an admin assistant first or try to get a job working for one of the virtual assistant companies? Any advice, opinions or personal stories would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• Like 1

My advice is always to make a list of what you can do, mark out what you hate doing, and see how the rest of your skills align as an offering. Just be aware that you are looking at anywhere from 6 months to a year before making a living as a VA. Good luck. also, check out the TVE archives at my website www.irtualoficegoddess.com for some articles on becoming a VA.

• Like 3

I agree with Lily when she says make a list of everything you can do. Also, a virtual assistant can offer any number of services, so maybe you could consider marketing yourself as a banking virtual assistant? The nice thing is how diverse it is.

• Like 1

First of all...Welcome to our VA network :)

Why don't you make a list right here of the services/things you could do to help clients? We can all then look at it as a group and lead you into further research on what your next steps are.

Hi everyone, first off...thanks so much for your replies.

My first job may have just fell in my lap today and I am excited but nervous! One of the SVPs at my bank is also leaving to pursue his side business as a financial advisor. He will now take on this Job full time and needs help with the back end of things. I could be doing a variety of things from new client intake forms, opening accounts, He is currently using a excel spreadsheet to invoice clients, however, he said one of the programs he uses offers and prefers their invoicing system. He would like that up and running ASAP. He said he also needs someone to keep him on task with clients and dates such as sending birthday cards, anniversary cards, etc. how would you recommend I keep track of that? Gather that info from his clients and put it on my personal calendar and his? He is a pretty unorganized person and I can tell he himself is unsure of what he can delegate to me. I was thinking about sending him an email and asking him questions that I found on various VA client intake forms to get a idea of his expectations and what he is willing to delegate. He is totally unsure of hours and didn't even go over pay but I am thinking of suggesting a set amount of hours per week (20-25) at a package price? This could potentially be my first client so I really don't want to come off as nervous and unsure. What do you guys think?? Am I approaching this the correct way? HELP!!! Thank you!!!

Kayla, first of all congrats on the new client! :yay:

Just take it one step at a time solving each task as it comes your way.

As for looking after their special occasions what I use is Send Out Cards (plus they have cool gifts) and you can try it for free at my link. There are other ways you could keep track of special occasions too using a Google Calendar with notifications of when you send cards/gifts, etc.

To expect to work 20-25 hours per week for one client is probably high. The reason I say this is how many hours do you want to work? Your own marketing and administration of your business will take 10-15 hours out of 40 per week leaving you with only 20-25 hours of billable time. Most likely this client's need will be fulfilled with a monthly retainer of 20-30 hours. It's amazing how much one can do in an hour's time. I would put them on a monthly trial retainer of 20-25 hours (always get paid upfront) and if they go over that in the month you'll know you need a bigger one. You don't want to scare this client off by saying they need 80-100 hour retainer for the month if that makes sense? I'd set up your rates to pay by the hour or in monthly retainer packages (offer discount on these to get them to buy these over hourly). See my pricing structure on my website for an idea of what I mean. You'll also need to find out your hourly rate. Use this pricing sheet which is in excel to help you figure out your hourly rate which will most likely be $25-40/hr depending on your overhead.. (Courtesy of VAinsiders.com. Just one of the 100's of templates and resources included with a yearly membership)