AuroraMuse

Any tips on how to find VA companies the subcontract for?

Hi There,

I have worked as a subcontracted VA to other VAs before and it was enough work for what I needed at the time, but now that I am ready for more I'm not sure the best ways to find VAs who are actively looking to subcontract/outsource. Any advice for cold e-mailing VAs?
I am also interested in hearing rate advice as well. Do you change your rate much for subcontracting?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Like 1

Its hard to know who hires subcontractors if you aren't networking amongst some groups and social networks where VAs hang out. If you are, you'll soon know who takes subcontractors on and who doesn't. You'll want to look for more established companies that have been doing this for awhile else you may find you don't get much work from them. Watch the job boards too. I know there are a few that post their jobs all the time here at VAinsiders.

I'd just be very honest and upfront with them via email that you are looking to subcontract and ask if they are taking on any new applications. Maybe even first try engaging with them on social networks so they get to know who you are first and that you would be a valuable asset to them to take on.

As for pricing, each company most likely will have set the price already for what they are going to pay you. Some pay well and others don't. You have to decide yourself how much you need per hour to cover your time, overhead and still be happy. Remember that your hourly rate when you are figuring it out for subcontracting will be a percentage less because you don't have to spend the time marketing. So if you marketing is 25% of your time usually to gain a new client you can take 25% off your hourly rate to get your subcontracting rate as you won't have to do this for this company as they are doing the marketing not you.

Hope that makes sense as far as pricing goes. The percentage can vary dependent on how much time you spend marketing. A brand new VA may be spending 50% of their time marketing their business whereas someone who has a full client base may be spending only 20%.

Pricing will be different possibly with each new subcontracting job depending how busy you may be. I've had companies hire me as a subcontractor at my full hourly rate with no discount only because they needed my expertise and I wasn't budging on my price as I didn't need more work.

• Like 2

vainsiders.jpg

Thanks so much, as always Tawnya! (sorry it's been awhile)

I have been trying to network and engage within groups but unless there is a specific RFP I'm not noticing any other way to tell if someone is opening to subcontract.
And I definitely always have my eye on the job boards!

And yes, that makes sense on pricing. I do understand it varies but was just looking for a general rule, so that helps. I need to see what that really looks like for me.

Thanks!

• Like 1

@auroramuse - you can also check out the RFP's submitted here at VANetworking to see who is looking for a VA. Most VA sites, this one included, have a Job Board. Try looking there.

I own a multi-VA firm, and just submitted a RFP looking for at least 1 (possibly 2) new subcontractor VA's to add to my team. If you are a technical VA, then look for my RFP (once it gets posted), or message me here on forum. I don't generally offer admin type VA services, I am a technical muti-VA firm. :)

• Like 1

Hi Traci,

My apologizes for my delayed response. I had written a response but did not realize it was still open when my chrome froze.
I do appreciate your response, tips an heads up on your post.
I actually have been checking the RFP section on the VA forums I am a part of my daily routine. It hasn't always been clear whether it was a VA firm or an RFP directly from the client (not that I wouldn't work for a client, I just wasn't sure how often VAs posted there or if they preferred other methods) and I was also trying to be proactive as well.
As for your post, I did see that come in. While I am somehwhat techie and definitely a problem solver I did not feel very confident in quite a few of the programs you listed. I do plan to further my training in a few areas as well so that I can feel more confident that I'm not missing something, as with some things I had tought myself by feeling around/trial and error on my own.

Thanks again! I really appereciate it. :)

Hi Tawnya,

I do both. I like joining/being part of an established VA team and I feel like it's dipping into multiple pools at the same time/sharing the marketing duties. I also love directly working within a team as we all support each other, I'll get referrals as well as refer clients to them, so it's a nice little set up.

• Like 3

Vanessa,

I was wondering if you found any VA businesses to subcontract for? I am interested in that as well, though I don't have a website set up yet. I do have a LinkedIn profile and am on Facebook as well.

I viewed your business website (very nice by the way.)

Wanted to ask you....how long were you a personal assistant and what did you do? I ask because I want to incorporate being a personal assistant as well as the administrative side of creating my business.

I can really see the "creative" writer side of you in your website.

Thanks,

Debbie

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to Become a VA?
    Invest in The VAC!
    How Do YOU Startup A

Virtual Assistant Organization Association
    Upgrade Your FREE Account & Receive Today...
    * Access to Our Bus JOB Board *
    * Group Coaching & Training*
    *Training Tracks*
    * Private Mastermind Area *
    * Business Templates *
    * Contracts & Forms*
    * Plus VAinsider Perks! *
    UPGRADE HERE

HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.