Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the board and working, diligently, to get my VA business off the ground. I'm starting to think that I need to have some training but wondered if most of you did a VA training course and, also, which one you would recommend. AssistU comes highly recommended by Cindy Hillsey but they are have major problems with their website at the time and I would like to compare the programs out there too.

Any opinions?

Thanks, Rita sad.gif(confusion and dismay are setting in)

Guest CindyHillsey

Rita,

In addition to AU, you might want to check out Virtual Assistance U. There are some VA's on this board who can talk to you about their program. smile.gif

Hi. My name is Yolanda and I have looking over your forum. I have been interested in do this type of work for a long time but have not been able to find much information or courses aimed at this profession. Could you please point me in the right direction for the training needed for this. Also, is it absolutely necessary to have some kind of certificate for this? Is there a way to get the training without having to pay major bucks for them?

Hi Yolanda and WELCOME! biggrin.gif

I'm new to this too and just learning (from this forum) myself BUT from my research training and certification, though tremendously helpful and recommended, are not required. There are several places to take the training, AssistU and Virtual Assistance U are a couple of them. The certification can be obtained through testing also, at places like IVAA. Like I said, I'm a newbie and this info may not be accurate but it's what I am understanding from my searching. Hang out with the crowd here though and you'll learn tons! They are great people!!!!

Best of Luck in your venture.

Rita

As previously stated, gaining training in the industry could help your practice TREMENDOUSLY, but it can be costly. If it's too much for your pocketbook at this time, then maybe use that as a goal you would like to reach or something you would like to obtain (certification) in the future. You can certainly start your biz without it if you have the skills as mentioned! smile.gif

This forum is a great source of info for ya! smile.gif

If you are a Do-It-Yourselfer type of individual, The VAS System offered here at the forum, could be your answer to getting a Virtual Assistant Business up and rolling. It won't teach you how to type or do bookkeeping but it will help you get a business up and running easily and effectively.

Tawnya

Oh lordy! So sorry, Tawyna! I totally forgot about it. I'm bad. Slap me a few times!! Anyway...I did see it and you offer a TERRIFIC price! I, too, think it would be a valuable tool for someone just starting up! smile.gif

Wow, this has answered several questions for me! I have a total of 15 years' experience being a traditional administrative assistant and an executive assistant, so while I am making a goal of becoming certified (I checked out the IVAA site) it is a bit costly for me at the moment. I feel confident enough in my abilities that I can work independently until I am able to do so, hopefully within a few months' time.

Thanks for all the wonderful information! applause.gif

Michele Green

Don't let not having any certifications under your belt deter you in the beginning. I have none yet I am a very successful virtual assistant.

It's not that I couldn't pass the certifications, just to each their own whether they feel they require another paper on the wall is all. With 22 years administrative experience backing me, I felt I had the skillset to take me into business. Confidence sometimes is all the certification you need to be successful. There will always be a time when you can go get the certifications you want if you ever require them for your business. I have yet to be asked by any client if I am certified. What they have asked me however is can we talk to your current clients and/or see your portfolio of work/testimonials. Saying that however, I became a Canadian Certified Virtual Assistant (CCVA) a year or so ago but was a virtual assistant for 6 years before that.

Get the certs when you can afford them and don't let it drag you down and until then, learn, learn, network, learn, network more, market, learn, learn and just hold onto your confidence. To each their own. In the end, high quality workmanship, strong ethics and an entreprenuer spirit will take you far too!

Tawnya

Hi, I have just been in the Virtual AssistanceU site and can't for the life of me find any pricing. Can someone tell me if they know how much they are charging or maybe I'm just x-eyed now and can't see for looking? Thanks

blink.gif