Sign in to follow this  
MGrayVA

I Was a Social Media Misfit

So far, I’ve been a social media dud. I can attribute this in part to the fact that I’m an introvert. I used to run a blog about healthy cooking and eating habits. I did my own posts and videos, but got cold feet when it came to promoting my site. My networking consisted of opening an account, posting a link to my site, following a few popular people, and retweeting the catchy stuff on Twitter. Keep in mind that what I retweeted had absolutely nothing to do with my niche. You can guess what happened. All of the content that I worked so hard to create went unnoticed, and my site did not do as well as I hoped. Epic Fail. Now, I’m looking to change all of that. Instead of using my introverted personality as an excuse to fail; I’ve vowed to work towards improvement.

First up: Twitter

I decided to make good use of the webinars on VAnetworking. I wasn’t sure which social media account to tackle first, so I just chose Twitter. I found a webinar called “Twitter tips for VAs” by Kathy Colaiacovo. There is a lot more to Twitter than meets the eye! For instance, its sister sites: Twellow and TweetLater. These are great tools for creating connections and keeping up with current ones. It’s more than tweeting and following. There should be an organized method involved. Kathy gave a lot of other helpful hints, and I gladly soaked it all up. There are a few more Twitter webinars on VAnetworking, which I plan on checking out. Also, Kathy has a YouTube channel that I plan on using as a resource as well.

It’s the end of my workday, and this post is the last task that I will complete tonight. But, tomorrow’s to-do list includes setting up accounts on Twellow, TweetLater, and Friend or Follow. I am excited about using these tools to grow my network!

What’s Next?

I don’t expect to become an expert in social media overnight. But at least I now know that I can get better. I believe that following Kathy’s tips will really help me to improve. Of course, there is more to social media and networking than just Twitter. Twitter is only a piece of the puzzle. My next stop is LinkedIn. I have a profile and have joined a few groups. However, I have a feeling that I am not using LinkedIn to its full potential. I’m saying a quick prayer of thanks for the webinars that will guide me.

Happy networking,

Meghan

www.mgrayva.com

• Like 1

Meghan, glad you are sinking your feet back into social media as it is very important. Twitter is by far my favourite network. I find I can get my point across quick and to tons of people.

It takes a lot of time to manage all of our social media accounts. I would also like to utilize LinkedIn more, but honestly, I don't like it at all. And anytime they change something I dislike it even more.... haha

• Like 2

I understand, Danielle. The same way that you feel about LinkedIn, is the same that I feel about Facebook. I'm saving that one for last.

• Like 1

Meghan first of all glad to see you learned from your mistakes and are making changes forthwith. The biggest mistakes we make in business are typically the ones that teach us and spur us forward ;)

Glad to see the webinars inside our VAinsiders Club are educating you further. There is a wealth of training in there as I think there are over 400 one hour training videos now. It's a no-brainer being a VAinsider isn't it? ;)

Kathy is awesome to follow as she knows her stuff. She started out here in VAnetworking Forum and was one of our volunteers for years. Then she just got too busy (good thing for her) and we don't see her around much now. I've met her in person a few times and love her to death!

Good idea to focus and master each social network one at a time. Maybe set a time block for each one like I'll spend 15 hours learning about Twitter, 15 on Facebook, etc. over the course of the next month or so. Once you use up those 15 hours, stop and move onto next social network. We will never learn everything we need to know about each social network but spending a good chunk of time first learning about each will benefit you immensely!

Let us know how it goes for you. I so wish I had had VAinsiders when I started out. I had to learn everything myself at places all over the net UGH! ;)

• Like 1

Thank you, Tawnya. The 15 hour rule sounds good to me. I will try it out and let you all know how it goes. In the meantime, I do have one more question. I was able to sign up for Twellow, and Friend or Follow. But, TweetLater does not seem to be active. Does anybody here have a membership to this site, or is it outdated? Thanks.

• Like 2