shellypants

Feel the fear and do it anyway, is it really that easy?

Lots of great info shared!

I have fears but the quote I live by is:

"What if I fall?" Oh but my darling, What if you fly? by Erin Hanson.

Actually I believe it goes something like this:

'There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask "What if I fall?" Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

When I'm feeling fear I think of that quote and I jump and I swear I have flown every single time... Sometimes it took a bit longer than I would have liked, sometimes it felt like my feathers were stuck together and I didn't soar as well as I would have liked, but I soared and never regretted it. The end result has always been awesome.

I also try to move forward and sometimes that's taking baby steps if need be (or giant steps). You already started by taking a step towards the goal of becoming a VA and you're here reaching out, maybe take another step, then another, then another... Also networking helps a lot and just so you know there's a client or ten looking for someone out there just like you.

• Like 4

I'm the wrong one to answer as I own VAinsiders and think it is awesome. So much training available, group coaching, job board, business templates...everything you need in one stop to further help your VA business. Personally I think every VA should make VAinsiders be a part of their business expenses every year for the educational info and the job board.

Looking forward to hearing other members thoughts and here is a link to raves we've had and put on our website

I feel I don't market it well to truly show the real benefits of being on the inside and hope to do some free webinars here soon on why VAs should become members. Until then, here's a peep look on the inside of VAinsiders.com of a video we give to new members. Maybe it will show you all the resources that are there which don't come to light by reading the webpage itself. WATCH VIDEO HERE

• Like 1

Hi Leisa, Please forgive my very late reply to your question above. Yes, by all means, join VA Insiders if you've got the ability to do so. When I started my VA business in early 2014, I attended the VA Virtuosos Seminar (VAVS) and then joined VA Insiders shortly after that. I can't tell you how many hours I spent watching webinars from the Vault or how many downloads I did of helpful forms, protocols, and such. The Vault alone is like an encyclopedia, or a library--a real treasure trove! If you need a resource, it's bound to be in there. Apart from that, my two favorite things are the RFPs and group coaching. I set things up so that the RFPs are emailed to me automatically, and I attend the monthly group coaching headed up by our wonderful mentor, Tawnya Sutherland. When I can, this site is where I hang out with other VAs, and the support has been wonderful. (I see you've been here a little while, so that part you already know, I'm sure.) That's my two-cents worth. Hope it helps. :)

• Like 4

Wow guys, I had not logged on for a while and am so encouraged by the many messages of support. While I don't wish fear on others, it is comforting to know it is a normal emotion to feel.

You are an amazing group of people and have really inspired me with your words.

• Like 4

ah, fear and introversion, topics I know too well. I've been at this online 'gig' since 2002. I get bouts of confidence and then I feel it just gets pulled out from under me. I crawl back into my shell until another round of confidence comes by.

This is lousy if you want a business.

It's amazing to me how many people do feel fear or anxiety. (even people we see as confident!) I wouldn't have guessed Tawnya to be an introvert but like she said, many people who choose this profession are.

Here's how I'm trying to kick my fears:

I'm doing a Periscope challenge this month. I was super fearful on that first broadcast. (periscope is live video streaming from your phone) It is now day 5 and although I am still self-conscious, it's not as bad as I built it up to be in my head.

It is helping me with conversation skills because there is live audience interaction with comments.

Another challenge I'm doing this month is called The Stretch Yourself challenge. It is what the name implies. I will be doing things outside of my comfort zone and YES, all seem very scary to me. My 'WHY' is my focus, not the scary thing I have to do to move my business into profit.

Michelle, I would keep a photo of your son nearby especially when the 'fear-bies' come along. He is your WHY and fear pales next to him.

(((hugs))) thanks for joining and sharing.

• Like 4

"My 'WHY' is my focus, not the scary thing I have to do..."

I love that! And I can relate so well to the ups and downs of confidence versus fear. So, so true. Thanks, sd, for this post. It encourages me. :thumbup:

• Like 4

My fear is making this a full-time gig. In the meantime, supplementing income is working for me. I've found a podcast specific to escaping corporate has been extremely helpful. Although, the support of all members here is extremely beneficial.

• Like 3

I'm doing a Periscope challenge this month. I was super fearful on that first broadcast. (periscope is live video streaming from your phone) It is now day 5 and although I am still self-conscious, it's not as bad as I built it up to be in my head.

It is helping me with conversation skills because there is live audience interaction with comments.

What's your periscope ID so I can follow you? Mine is @vanetworking

• Like 1

Michelle, as you can see you are definitely not alone in feeling fear. What's important is to not let it paralyze you. Not always easy to just push through it. I use a few different techniques to help me out. Activity: My portable exercise bike is my friend, lol. Helps with the anxiety for sure. Meditation: Fortunately, there are many easy to follow instructions out there...even apps for your phone. I only do short ones, but it really does help me. Organization: Having a plan including lists, etc. makes me feel much calmer. I find the action of writing the fear down and thinking of ways to move forward really helps me.

Best wishes to you and don't give up!

• Like 4

I'm @duggansara over there. After the 31st, all my videos will be taken down. I do have them transferred to youtube for reference. One day I will watch them all to see the growth. I know my feelings of nervousness has gone down since that very first one. I'll be sure to follow you, Tawnya.

• Like 1

I'm @duggansara over there. After the 31st, all my videos will be taken down. I do have them transferred to youtube for reference. One day I will watch them all to see the growth. I know my feelings of nervousness has gone down since that very first one. I'll be sure to follow you, Tawnya.

So are you not doing anymore SD? I was going to follow you :)

I continued the daily Scopes so I don't go back into hiding.

Right now I'm doing a series of Productivity tips M-F 10 am PST. I try to keep them at about 5 minutes (try).

• Like 2

This was really great to read. I too am struggling with a form of fear of getting started. I have done everything from the website, business cards, got my llc papers completed......and now I'm like...uh oh...here I am. Now you have to make something happen and I'm stuck trying to make it happen. Fearing that I can't afford to join the insiders club and invest in my business. Fear that I won't make any money or find any clients that would be willing to pay for my services. So I totally understand what she is feeling as I am a newbie and am feeling the same things too...thanks team.