babykaykes

Is there a market for this?

Hi all! I'm a fairly new VA. I've been doing this for other companies for about a year now, but I am just now ready to take the leap into building my own business. I've been thinking about whether I want to generalize or find a niche, and have been going over all the tasks I've done in the past.

I really love making travel plans for people. I have come to know when is the best time to book flights and cruises, where to find the best hotel deals, how to get group rates, where to eat, how to get around town, where to find meeting places, etc. I'd love to do this for both regular travelers and heavy business travelers.

Is there a market for this or would I be severely limiting my business? I can't seem to find anyone online who does this.

I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance.

• Like 2

I would think travel planning would be a good niche to go after. And if push comes to shove, you could widen out again to more general travel tasks like booking the tickets and accommodation.

In fact, a recall a free ebook in this industry that outlines this as a niche (among other possibles). If I come up against the ebook, I'll pass it to you.

Hello,

It has been my experience that travel planning is indeed a service you can offer. I do wish to add that
with the advent of online travel sites, this has made this service a very DIY opportunity as well.

I would suggest that you offer travel services but be specific who you want to do the services for and
consider working with a team that would need your services.

For example, you might wish to be a wedding destination travel planner. You can plan all of the
travel and events for a bride and groom and do so with a wedding planner who wouldn't handle
travel.

Or you might align yourself with a company that employee a sales staff that travels and be the
business travel planner for sales companies.

I would suggest you come up with a specific reason or purpose people would need to working
with you. Do you specialize in themed travel or senior travel, for example? I would think
about why your services stand apart from all other travel planners.

Good luck!

Janine

• Like 3

Travel planning as a niche is a great specialty. Like Janine mentions it would be good to decide on who your target market will be is it people getting married? Big companies who have sales consultants that need travel arrangements? Maybe its only lawyers or doctors (some high end profession) that doesn't have time to make their own arrangements? Try to zone in on who requires your travel arrangement services and then you will be able to specifically market to them easier.

• Like 2

Thanks all! I was thinking of authors and entrepreneurs and speakers who spend a lot of their time traveling. I have a few friends who are really popular bloggers and spend much of their year traveling and speaking. I've been thinking of the non travel aspect of things as well, to be sure there's work. I know a few of them have said they could spend hours wading through emails and have forgotten to send/order gifts and thank you cards, forgot to reschedule a home repair, etc. So I think I want to cater to those needs as well.

• Like 2

You by now means will have a difficult time with this niche. It's so much better to get more specific than to go to general with your services too. Who knows I may be your first client because I hate booking flights and I'll need one this spring. :crossfingers:

• Like 2

I would like to clarify that just being good at travel planning and being a destination wedding planner are two very different beasts! A destination wedding planner/travel agent is an entirely different industry and should never be lumped in with this industry. There are not very many couples out there who would be willing to pay fees to a VA to plan their wedding and travel when they can use a travel agent for free.

If you want to incorporate travel planning as an additional service for your business. Absolutely! But use a corporate travel agent to book the travel for you - they have contacts with the hotels, airlines, car rental companies and have an entire booking system at their disposal that is not available to the general public. Most corporate travel agents will charge a service fee for the booking but that can be added as a disbursement expense to your clients invoice.

I just had a one hour call with Travo, a new company that helps people figure out their travel arrangements.

Anyhow, check it out its cool! I'm working with them to bring this FREE network (like facebook travel on steroids) to the VA industry :)