Sign in to follow this  

Speaking of online training...

Has anyone here ever taken courses from Virtual University? There is another intake starting April 11th and I am wondering what these courses are like, especially the ones on writing and on website design.

Thanks!

Karri

I don't know much about this one but didn't like the fact that you couldn't preview course demo. I would like to know how they teach you, in what type of format.

I am not knocking it though and think any kind of learning is good learning. I learned much of my hands-on desktop/webdesign skills years ago from a similar style of teaching and it worked very well for me. It was called ZDnet University at the time and was really kewl because you could pay like $7.95 a month and take up to 5 courses. There were even trainers who gave you feedback in forum or chat programs.

I wholly recommend any kind of learning but also look around too. I have seen others much better than this and if I have time, I will search for their links later.

I like taking online courses since I can do so at my own pace and typically it costs less than $20 a month to learn whatever I want so fits into my budget and keeps me always upgrading my skills.

Tawnya

PS: Here is a link to start at: http://jobsearchtech.about.com/od/onlinetraining/

Thanks Tawnya.

I am definitely looking to polish my skills so what you are talking about (ZDnet) sounds perfect. I can't really afford to spend tons of cash on full credit courses anymore. (I'm still paying for my student loans!!) Anyway, my post-secondary education is going to be a great resource as I start my practice, in terms of "soft skills," but unfortunately, I don't feel all that confident in my "hard skills" anymore. Such as PowerPoint, web design, etc. The last job I worked at had all this bizarre in-house software (transportation company ... rail) so I got really adept at using THAT but what good is it now? GRRRR!

Anyway, I'll keep watching this thread for any ideas!!!!

Thanks again Tawnya (BTW, I always go to your website to get ideas for learning new skills b/c you always have such great links and articles there!!!!).

Karri

Edited by Karri

Hi Karri,

Unfortunately, I don't think Zdnet is around anymore, that was about 5-6 years ago when I was taking a lot of those online courses. I am sure there is something similar out there now although not sure what. Have you considered any courses at your local high school? They typically have hands on courses with photoshop and other popular programs and usually they are not too expensive too.

Thanks for the kudos on my website smile.gif

Tawnya

I second the idea for on-line training. I have seen a recommendation for VU and was looking around there just yesterday. They look like they have been in business for quite some time. It is not expensive so it wouldn't hurt to try.

Let us know how you make out if you do take some courses there

Therese