Sign in to follow this  
Jpaul8

Struggling to get started...help!

Hello all!

I'm still relatively new to the VA world and am trying to form a cliental base. I've been posting and applying to jobs for about 2 months but to no avail! I've been posting mainly on UpWork. I really believe I could get a business going well if I could obtain my first client...it's just getting started! Do any of you long-time and well-connected VA's have any advice for me?

As I'm still new to the business, but I'm trying to narrow down my niche. I'm currently applying to "Personal Assistant" or "Social Media Marketing" type jobs.

I'd really appreciate any tips- thank you all! :)

• Like 1

I have had no luck with upwork because I have never been hired by any of their clients before and they all (so far) want job history with upwork. Try responding to Craigs list ads (pr even posting one of you own offering your services) and tell everyone you know about your business. You never know where clients will come from. :)

• Like 2

You might try marketing through your social networks as well if you have a website to direct people to. Write some interesting blog posts to get clients interested in you, checking your out and the ultimate catch is getting them to sign up to your newsletter at your website. The $$$ is in the List!

An easier route if you don't want to do all the marketing legwork is to sign up to some VA member websites that actually have awesome job boards like our VAinsiders Club. That is the easiest way to get clients as the clients that post jobs at our network know the value of a VA ($25-40/hr) and are willing to pay that. You are not competing for $4/hr jobs on oDesk, etc.

Landing just one client at our job board can not only pay for our membership but also start the word of mouth referrals from happy clients start rolling in :)

• Like 2

Thank you both so much for the advice! I have thought about joining the VAInsiders club, and very well may do so. I never thought about Craigslist, I will try that too.

I haven't created a website yet, although I'm hoping to get that started this week. Thanks for the advice!

I highly recommend the RFPs offered here on VANetworking as Tawnya mentions. There are some wonderful opportunities posted here which is reflective of the quality this website offers which is attractive to potential clients and VAs as well.

I understand you will be creating a website and that is definitely a good first and much needed web presence. In the meantime, you can still create a LinkedIn and Facebook profile and use those thinks to share with potential clients until your site is up and going.

I would also suggest you take a look at the free training here on VANetworking. There is so much available for new and seasoned VAs.

Also make sure you have a business plan in place. Know who you want to market to and determine where this market is and concentrate on offering value to this audience. It is better to give than receive and people will take notice of your expertise if you offer advice in group discussions.

Finally, consider putting a blog together preferably on your new website but if not, you can use a free service like Wordpress.com to create a blog. This will show potential clients what you are capable of offering to their situations.

Best to you.

Janine

• Like 3

I am a former Elancer who transferred to UW. UW is an abysmal failure for everyone - you are not alone in that.

I decided to amp up my offsite platform (which I already had in addition to freelancing) - and I would say learn about the market and type of services you want to offer - not just what you think will make money. Find your niche and your target market. I'm confident that is addressed here by Tanya and others. :)

• Like 1

Thank you both so much for the advice! I have thought about joining the VAInsiders club, and very well may do so. I never thought about Craigslist, I will try that too.

I haven't created a website yet, although I'm hoping to get that started this week. Thanks for the advice!

I have a special on the VAinsiders Club until end of December and if you are on my email list you will be hearing about it so enjoy :)