charisj

Bookkeeping for a VA business

I’m wondering what people are using to keep track of their expenses. I’m new to being a small business owner and numbers are not my strong suite. I’d love a spreadsheet or something that will let me keep everything in one place and be able to view it easily. Preferably free or at little cost. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I use Quickbooks desktop version but you don't have to go to that extreme if you are small or just starting out. I'd ask your accountant who does your year end what they want first in case they have a special program they prefer.

Many VAs use Freshbooks and I've heard of many using Wave now too which I believe is free and might be a good option for you to look into to keep costs down.

You can also do it the old fashion way and just use a spreadsheet to keep track of your sales and expenses.

vainsiders.jpg

I started using Wave this year. It's free and has everything I need. I suggest taking a look at it.

• Like 1

Providing exceptional online support services to businesses and entrepreneurs since 2010. Visit my website to learn more.

---

Brand New? Check out the Virtual Assistant Career Program.
Veteran VA? Check out the VAinsiders Club (Job Board, Group Coaching plus extensive training resources)

QuickBooks simple Start would be a great option for you. I wrote a book on how to use it - nuts to bolts - and if you purchase it directly from me I can also send you the program at no additional charge. If interested, please PM me. it's $24.95, including shipping.

• Like 1

I am using Freshbooks which for the most part I like. They offered me a discount if I paid for the year... I'm still considering it but I'm slightly torn as I have heard of great things with Quickbooks which my accountant would prefer and I think it would cost less than Freshbooks.

As for Wave I have to check it out again, I signed up but never went further.