jodidziedzic

VA for Pet Nonprofits?

Hi folks!

I have a predicament that I would love your help with!

I am an animal nurse and also have many, many years of experience with office management and other office/administration. I have been looking for something to do part-time since my daughter started school and answered an ad on craigslist for a personal assistant to a pet rescue organization locally. Imagine my delight!! Doing a little bit of everything, including learning how to build websites and grantwriting...as well as intake and animal care and office stuff and the option to also do a majority of the stuff from home. Then she said she didn't know how she would pay me...ugh.

Fast forward to a few days later when interviewing with our local humane society's executive director who stated that SHE was doing all of the hiring and paperwork and they had no employee or p&p manual and no cross-training, etc. Feelers went up.

So...would it be possible to turn this part-time job..into a VA business?? I will charge the $10 the pet rescue lady said she would pay me for a year to get my feet wet and get a handle on this working from home thing. And learn grant writing and website stuff on my own time. Still have the issue of how she is going to pay me, as nonprofits are strapped as it is.

What should I do?? I am meeting with her tomorrow to discuss the wish list of things that she would like me to accomplish. Should I go out on a limb and ask her to be my first client?? Seriously need some help on this ASAP...thanks!!!!!

Jodi

• Like 1

Congrats and yes! I'd ask her to be your first client. You'll want to figure out your pricing though as $10/hr won't cover your overhead. Here's a pricing list sheet to figure out your hourly rate as well as a cost comparison VA vs Full-time employee. You'll need to sell the benefits of how it saves money to hire you to this client.

Hopefully she takes you on and then you can move forward getting more clients like her plus you'll also slowly learn the ropes of running a VA business.

• Like 1

Thanks Tawnya!

I want to ask her but she just started her rescue business 4 months ago and what little money she has goes directly to the animals...I am afraid to ask for her business since I am so excited for this opportunity and don't want her to say sorry and find someone else. The job does require some work from home and some onsite (which I am happy with) BUT I don't want to push her. She says 4 hours per day would be her max @ $11/an hour with some weeks me working 15 hours and some 30 hours. I would feel awful charging her $20 an hour for that. Or...maybe I could charge $20 for VA work and $10 for onsite stuff..but I see getting trapped in that "Can you just do one more thing for me while you are here" thinking.

Thoughts??

Thanks a bunch!

Jodi

• Like 1

Jodi, if you really want to work for her then you might consider taking her rates and in your mind consider it more of a volunteer job (with a bit of pay to go with it).

I did a bunch of volunteer jobs in the beginning as they increased my portfolio of clients (word of mouth from that client got me several other clients in the same industry by his referrals) plus gave me work experience as a new VA. That work experience alone was so valuable to my business learning. Just a thought! You can always quit whenever you want (or when you get more clients). If you do this though definitely get a testimonial from them for your website. Also ask them if potential clients can contact them regarding your services, etc.

• Like 1