Julian Palmer

Create an Avatar - Be specific in your Services & Niche

Hello Fellow VA's

So the other day I posted a question on Facebook about clients who were posting a whole lot of list services for Virtual Assistants, and if as VA's we can offer all those services, and trust me, by asking this question, I have found numerous responses that I must agree with and will be sharing with you now.

• I have learnt that it's imperative to do what you like doing and being specific to the services that you like doing. So let's say I love doing the scheduling part of Social Media but because I am not a marketer I do not like doing Ads as a service from scratch. So instead of saying I offer Social Media as a service it will be too broad because there are numerous services that you can offer under Social Media, so being specific can be Social Media Scheduling or Social Media Marketing etc.
  • Know from day one who you want to work with. I did my client avatar over and over again, at first, I wanted to work with Motivational speakers, Authors, and coaches because I saw everyone doing this. I was marketing to these persons which was burning me out and making me feel overwhelmed until I said, you know what, from day one I wanted to work with women in the Fashion Industry. So my target are women who are Image Consultants.
  • Always continue to learn on the services that you like doing. Also, you can add on services that you do like doing. I also like doing auto-responding maintenance and so I offer this as an add-on service separate from my packages services.

Basically even though I have been in the industry a year now, I am still learning as I grow and I do appreciate that other VA's here have made it clear on how to go about offering your services and having it down to a target, and because of this I am sharing here as well what I have learned. Best wishes.

• Like 2

This is valuable advice that you have provided. I agree that is is great to have a customer avatar and define your services. Being a one stop shop is a harder sell. Plus if you know your avatar well, you know their problems more intimately.

You said you targeted authors, speakers and coaches and recently refined to women in the fashion industry. May I ask how are you finding that niche and how the transition from coaches to fahsion was handled?

Thanks Juli!

• Like 2

Speaking of avatars, it is very valuable to figure out who your client is so that you know who you are marketing to. I just went to a class on creating your Avatar and these were my notes so thought I'd share:

Demographics Information
  1. Gender
  2. Age
  3. Marital Status
  4. Lifestyle
  5. Profession
  6. Education
  7. Income
Determine Your Audience’s Motivation
  • What Does Your Audience Want?
  • What Are Your Audience’s Fears?
  • What Keeps Them Up at Night?
  • What Does Your Audience Like?
  • What Does Your Audience Dislike?
  • What Are They Talking About?
  • What Do They Read?
  • Where Do They Hang Out?
  • What Do They Do in Their Free Time?
  • What Type of Objections Do They Have?
  • What Is Their Decision Making Process?
Get Specific
  • What Charities Do They Donate Time & Money To?
  • Feel free to add your own questions to round out your avatar such as hair color, eye color, choice of clothing and so forth.

Once we know inside and out who our ideal client (Avatar) is then it will be much clearer to us how and where we market to them.

• Like 2

Hello Mark,

Thanks for asking that question, the funny thing is that because I started on a third party freelancing platform I was working with these individuals (Coaches, Authors, and Speakers) so I thought to myself this will be so easy to market to these individuals outside that platform because I had the experience working with them.

Was I wrong, they just could not get what I was trying to say to them, so when an opportunity came to network with coaches in a group and they would ask for example what I would do, I realize that these coaches what they needed assistance with, my services were not aligning with what they want, mind you I was only offering administration and A bit of social media.

So, I went back to the drawing board because I was not really into the services that they needed either (Infusionsoft, landing pages etc). I went to do some courses on WordPress basic and liked it a bit and also learned how to use some Autoresponders. (Mailchimp and a bit of Aweber) Then I joined groups that my ideal clients were in and I listened to them, I even joined Instagram last month to get myself out there. I got prospective clients last month but nothing concrete as yet so I am still marketing and listening to what most of their problems are, because what I did find out on the calls that I did with these prospective clients is that they do need the services but I would be like there first VA so I am being put on hold until they make a decision lol.

So when I land my first ideal client I will share it here and let you know. Sorry for the blab and hopes it helps. Best wishes.

• Like 2

Hey Julian :)

Can you teach me how to land clients? I would love to excel in this field but I'm all over the place. I'm seeing where you're saying you need to have a target market. I don't have one. I just want to offer my skills to those who need it. Is having a target market a must? I would love if you could help me

• Like 2

Thanks Julian for answering that question.

I am in the refinement of defining my avatar. I am choosing to work with coaches because I already have some clients who are coaches. But I can always change later if it doesn't work out.

Incidentally, I just updated my website to be indicative of this. I don't want to exclude other clients who may fit the bill but I am using coaching as the marketing message.

Here's a question for you, Julian, and also Tawnya. Maybe you can both help me. If you go to my website http://markofapproval.com and you see I wrote:

Powerful Websites Designed for Business Coaches
Attract More Clients Through Engaging Content and Clean Design
Do you think I should change the word coaches to make it broad so I don't immediate isolate others. Maybe change business coaches to business leaders in the verbage there?
  • Like 1

Hello Mark,

I think I am going to be a bit bias and say I love it, it's really chic looking. The layout is very easy to navigate through and I don't have much expereince in saying yes do this or that, but if I visted your site I would know immediately that if I am a Business coach this is what I would expect. The funny thing that I have realized in a coaching group that I am in (sorry they only admit women) that even if you specialize in services for business coaches since you are good, even lifestyle, dating, and all type of coaches would still want to work with you. Hope that helps. Best wishes.

• Like 2

Mark I think if you are going to zone in like you are with coaches, then use the word you know? You could always do some split testing too trying it with both but I like the phrase "Designed for Business Coaches" myself as it tells me (if I'm coach landing at your site) that you are one I want to hire for this as you "get me" ;)

• Like 1