markofapproval

What Are Your Favourite Productivity Apps?

One of the biggest reasons people fail with running their own business is lack of focus. It has cost me a lot over the years. Sometimes it’s good to take perspective and look at how you spend your time.

Such a way of doing this is by use of apps.

Okay, so no app will be responsible for increasing your productivity, but they are great ways of tracking it.

Two of the clear winners, in my opinion, are Rescue Time and Toggl. Both of these apps track your time, but in different ways.

Rescue Time sits quietly in the background while you are working at your computer. The power of this tool is that it monitors all the sites you visit and also looks at how many times you're switching between sites.

Toggle on the other hand is a stopwatch or a countdown timer that actually looks at how long you’re spending on a particular task. One thing I love about toggle is that when you move away from the computer, and forget to switch it off, it will stop itself and resume when you return.

The beauty is that both these tools have a free starter version. The paid versions are very affordable too!

When I have an app holding me accountable, I'm also more likely to focus.

What apps do you recommend and why? Do you have any secrets you’d like to share in regards to how you increase your productivity?

I definitely have found my own secret weapon which I’ll announce shortly.

• Like 3

Well I am familair with Toggl as well because I use this for myself and clients. I especially like using Grammerly and evernote. Grammerly helps me with wrting correctly and etc, (I'm not using it now) but it does help when I am sending documents to my clients. I also love evernote because I can save my PDF documents as well as clip my fave sites that I visit forever. I also love using Hootsuite for scheduling my posts for my social media channels. Best wishes.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to check out this Rescue Time as I've been trying to narrow down where I spend all my time. I'd really like to keep track of how much time I'm spending on my own business tasks such as blogging, bookkeeping, social media, product creation, training etc. I always keep track of clients but not my own. I think this would help me do that, and also see when I get distracted or waste time with other things. Thanks for sharing!

I've been using Asana to help keep me organized. I still miss my paper and pen planner and have thought about going back to it. But am trying my best to be all online.

Like Julian, I use Hootsuite for social media scheduling and I find that helps save me time.

• Like 2

I just installed Rescue Time Mark so will see what I think of it. I use Google Calendar to block out timeslots for my social networking, promotions and client work. To stay accountable I use my accountability groups/partners. I would be lost without these :)

Do you find Rescue Time slows down your computer at all? I'm trying it as I am curious on what it tracks.

• Like 2

Thank you for all your great resources. Juli, I had never heard of Grammerly. It seems we are in an age of apps! One of my biggest confessions is that I am not big on the mobile tech side of things. I don't even like texting from a phone lol. But I love using apps on the computer.

I haven't used Hootsuite ever! I've heard it is quite good. But I thought it was for purely automation of Facebook and Twitter posts? Asana and Evernote are too apps I'd highly recommend.

Tawnya, Rescue time has a lot of great features but I only ever use the site tracking one and sometimes I don't even switch it on because I know I'm going to have a crap day. Kind of eliminates the purpose. Apparently there are sites it doesn't track and it also doesn't track in incognito. I think it's a privacy thing.

Has rescue time slowed your computer down? I hadn't even considered that.

• Like 2

Hey all, I'll have to look into Grammerly.

I've been finding my biggest ally in management of myself is in using both Google docs and Google calendar. I believe Tawnya touched on this.

Basically I use todos marked on the calendar as well as appointments. I also have a master sheet in Google Spreadsheet that references the documents in the folders. For example, if I'm planning my blogs, I'll do so in the spreadsheet but give them an ID (let's say 2.3) which I'll then be able to reference as the document name in Google drive of that same folder.

I have found this really increased my productivity having a bit of order to my life.

I'll have to share my processes and sheets for VA Insiders when I work on fine tuning them more. I have a lot of fancy formulas in there too because Geeks like me love numbers lol.

• Like 1

Ok I gave up on RescueTime as I felt my computer was acting weird, had a few crashes since installing it. I really love the grammarly though and finding it helpful as I am the typo queen of the VAs ;)

I use google docs a ton mark so looking forward to hearing your processes.

• Like 1

Can't wait to hear your findings! As anyone heard of streak? A friend of mine recommended using this platfrom to check your leads right into Google? https://www.streak.com/ I have since installed it and love the fact that it keeps track right in my inbox of those clients who have viewed my messages. Don't know if I will have it for long though. I am already overwhelmed with all these apps as well.

• Like 1

Cool I'm ADHD so I'll have to check out the Forest app thanks :)

This is perfect for keeping my VA tribe off social networks. I find most VAs I coach waste so many hours on facebook or their gmail. This is a cool app to keep them off it ;)