Sign in to follow this  
Danielle

Charging Expenses to Clients

I've never had to do this before so am unsure how to do it.

If I purchase something on behalf of my client, they told me just to bill it to them. How do I record that in my invoicing system?

Do I add GST to it as well?

I'm not sure how I do this. I don't really want the expenses to be income that I have to claim either.

• Like 1

Providing exceptional online support services to businesses and entrepreneurs since 2010. Visit my website to learn more.

---

Brand New? Check out the Virtual Assistant Career Program.
Veteran VA? Check out the VAinsiders Club (Job Board, Group Coaching plus extensive training resources)

Hmm, my first thought is why can't they give you their credit card number so you can buy it that way? Of course, I'm assuming it's an online purchase.

Maybe you could invoice them separately for that? Then attach the receipt and keep it with your other business expenses and don't claim it as income?

Clearly I don't know the answer! :) Just musing...

• Like 1

Yeah it was a special case so couldn't use their card. Typically that is what I do. I tried looking for the answer on google but didn't really get an exact answer.

Providing exceptional online support services to businesses and entrepreneurs since 2010. Visit my website to learn more.

---

Veteran VA? Check out the VAinsiders Club (Job Board, Group Coaching plus extensive training resources)

Just add it to the invoice as another line ie) Carbonite purchase $XXX. If you had to pay GST for it I don't usually charge that to client as client may not have had to pay it say if they lived in USA. You can then use the receipt yourself as a tax writeoff and I usually put that under "Cost of Goods sold" account.

vainsiders.jpg

In the US, if you buy it online we don't currently pay sales tax so its a straight - "this is what I paid, this is what you owe me back" line item on the invoice. I would post it into the correct category, say software - then post the credit back to the same account to nullify the cost.

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

---