markofapproval

Woocommerce vs Shopify - what's your take?

I get asked a lot of questions about WordPress almost on a daily basis - and sometimes by the same people lol. But one question that raises its head often is this...

Should I be using WordPress for my client's ecommerce store or is it better to use Shopify?

Of course, there's other alternatives like BigCommerce etc, but the point remains; is WP the right platform to host your client's online store?

It totally depends. I know that's not a very good answer. But let's consider your requirements.

If you want something fast, reliable and secure straight out of the box, then Shopify is likely a good choice for you. Not only that, but you don't have to worry so much about payment processors.

WordPress on the other hand is good when you want total control over your online ecosystem. I've also heard it scores better for SEO. Woocommerce would be a good choice here, although it takes more time to setup.

Woo is scalable, despite the myths that say it isn't, but the factors weigh heavily on your choice of hosting, theme and surrounding plugins. I'd highly recommend a strong, reliable and secure host if you have a store with 100s of items. I know Tawnya uses Liquid Web.

I recently posted this as one of the questions appearing on my Most Asked Question post here: http://markofapproval.com/what-do-you-want-to-know-about-building-wordpress-websites/ Of course you can ask you own question if you so wish.

So what is your take on ecommerce platforms? Is this something you even want to touch? I know the ground gets shaky for some when it comes to payment processors, online stores and countless inventories.

• Like 3

Website Design and Digital Marketing Consultations

Feeling tired from trading all your time for money online? Try adding additional sources of leveraged income to your business. Find out how by clicking here.

Great post Mark! I've not had to do e-commerce sites for years so really have no input but great to read yours and thanks :)

As for LiquidWeb I certainly am loving their customer service and overly happy as my website never goes down which is important with e-commerce sites. Yes this host costs more but being down for just 1 hour can lose you sales so well worth it in my opinion.

• Like 1

vainsiders.jpg

Thanks for sharing Mark!

My target audience are in the fashion industry so I get a lot of drawbacks when these persons are using Shopify or even Squarespace to sell their products, I would also include Etsy but this information kind of break down the difference of owning your own platform on the internet.

• Like 1

Julian Palmer VA for fashion-focus LadyPreneurs who needs support for your admin & technical tasks! 1f460.png?2764.png❤️

This Fashionista VA can be found here http://julivaglobal.com/

Want to be in a group where the support is always constant from other LadyPreneurs by industry?

I am also sharing my FREE Time-saving tips & 24+ tools for busy Fashionistas in business like yourself bit.ly/24TimeSavingTools

Thanks Tawnya. I totally agree with needing a good host. Some people may think that a cheaper host is ok, but then there's the considerations of security, performance and how it all scales.

Julian, I really appreciate your feedback too! I know those platforms can be quite limited so it definitely is worth checking out just how much control you need.

For further information, here's an article by Chris Lema http://chrislema.com/choose-woocommerce/ on reasons why you may want to choose woocommerce.

• Like 1

Website Design and Digital Marketing Consultations

Feeling tired from trading all your time for money online? Try adding additional sources of leveraged income to your business. Find out how by clicking here.