Introducing myself

Hi!

My name is Sophie. I am a stay at home mom who is trying to switch from mystery shopping to virtual assisting. At this point, I don't have the resources to lauch a full scale business. My goal for now is to offer my services as a subcontractor to current VAs with overflow work. The only website I have right now is a listing on VA4U.com. Is it all right for me to put that in the website area? I don't really have a business name at this point either. Right now, I am just using my name. Do you think I should create a business name anyway? I appreciate any and all help from anyone on this forum.

Thanks!

Sophie

Welcome Sophie! :yay:

I read in the Mompreneurs book that it's a good idea to come up with a company name rather than using your name. I think it said to come up with something catchy that people will remember. If you use your name, unless you're very well known in the community, people might not remember.

Congratulations for taking the step!

Welcome to the group Sophie!!! :thumbup:

You'll fing tons-o-help here!

:D Hi Sophie

Welcome! This is new to me also and these women have been wonderful. I live in Mass so I'm glad to see another New Englander in here.....

Come back often and learn as I do.

Lynn

www.alltypes.biz

:yay:

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am hoping to learn a lot from this forum to get myself ready for the VA world. Thanks for answering the question about business names. Now, I have another one. Is there any way to make sure I am not choosing a copyrighted or trademarked name? I have done domain name checks to see what is taken on the web, but don't know about other names that may not be on the web. What do you suggest I do about that? Will I be told that my name is already in use when I go register it and get my business license or do I have to know that before I get there?

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Thanks again!

Sophie :)

Hi Sophie!

you can normally do a "name search" at the same time you go to register your business name. Keep in mind that if the name you have chosen has already been taken (or there is one very similar) you might want to have a couple of other names as alternatives and have them checked as well.

There is often a small charge to do a name search depending on where you go. I've seen charges of between $15 and $35 to search one name.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Jennifer

In Canada when you register a company, they do a name search for you. You do not need to register if you use your name as the company name. For example, if your name is Joe Brown and you own a shoe store and you name the store "Joe Brown" no registration is needed. However if you call it "Joe Brown Shoes" then you need to register.

Just a little info for all.

:xmastres:

Thanks for the info. I will plan on having more than one name selected then. I have so many ideas, that I don't know where to start. I am so trying to come up with something original yet catchy. I guess it's time to start writing them down and quit letting them bounce around my head.

Thanks again,

Sophie

Hi Sophie! :)

I just got back from my vacation in Vermont. I wanted to say a quick welcome to the community! I think you have already been introduced to a wonderful set of VA's. We are here to help!