vfriday

(Hesitantly) Asking for website review

With all of your gorgeous web sites out there, I'm kind of afraid to have you take a look at my attempt. There's tweaking to do and maybe I can pick some (more talented) brains about how I can improve http://www.virtualfri.com.

I welcome your input! (cringe) sad.gif

Thanks to all,

Rita

Virtual Friday Administrative Solutions

...taking the "eeek" out of your week!

Content-Wise I think you are coming along just fine. Just one thing that stuck out immediately to me was the Virtual Friday at the top. It looks odd, like someone drew it with a shaky pencil. Did you design it in Publisher? I know I always had problems with Publisher when I was making my websites and have stopped using it for websites.

It looks very clean and neat and I like that smile.gif I'm a sucker for clean lines smile.gif

The only other thing is that it doesn't "shrink down" to different sized browsers. I'm not sure why that is, again it was a problem with Publisher for me, but not with FrontPage - I know enough about HTML to be dangerous so maybe someone can help with that part of it.

Overall, it looks pretty good, it's not hard to see and it's well organized.

See, that didn't hurt too bad smile.gif

I viewed it in IE and FireFox.

Thanks, no it didn't hurt! The banner was designed in Publisher, saved as a picture and inserted into FrontPage 2003 where the rest of the site was built. Do you think I can design that banner in FrontPage? I thought it wouldn't work so well but maybe that's not right. I am not satisfied with the banner either and wanted it to be crisp.

What do you mean that it doesn't "shrink down"? mellow.gif

Thanks again for the input...

Rita

PS: I've been wanting to ask you some things about IVAA (you seem to be the guru on it) too but I'll have to put them into another post at another time.

I would design it in PhotoShop or The Gimp (which is Open Source and IMHO more powerful - Google it to find it).

Shrink down... gosh... okay, so go to my website and make the window smaller/bigger/etc... see how you can still read it, without scrolling horizontally? That's what I mean...

For info on IVAA, it's best to email directly to the membership department at membership@ivaa.org - I will of course answer any questions I can, but I don't know everything about them. smile.gif

I would have to agree with Candy,

If you can get your banner into an image editor, you'll most likely be able to smooth out the lines. The pixilation is not your fault, just the limmits of the program you used.

Part of the issue of scalability would be image size... that banner of yours sets the width of the page, making people with smaller screens have to scroll side to side to see the full page.

My only other critique would be that it's very white... but that's just personal preference and doesn't really affect the professionalism or impact of your page. If you go to my site, some may find it a little too colourful, but that's my artistic side coming out. wink.gif Over all your colour scheme is fluid and functional.

If you need any tips just drop me a line.

Rob.

Hi Rita,

I would agree with Candy as well. You are off to a good start - site looks clean and easy to read and is not overwhelmed with too much information (you don't want to tell prospects everything on your site, you want to inspire them to call and talk to you!). The top banner is the only thing that I see off the top that needs a little tidying up.

One other thing, but this is just a matter of personal preference, is that I would not list the hardware and software that you use on your site. I feel that this will do just as much to turn a prospect away (if they don't like the software that you use), as it would to attract a prospect. Again though, that is a personal choice.

Looking good!

smile.gif

Do you know if this program opesn Photoshop .psd files?

Sure does smile.gif Preserves the layers and all. It acts a LOT like PhotoShop, I just like that there's a little more functionality... it does take a little getting used to.

Keep in mind I'm NOT a graphics person. I can edit graphics and make very very rudimentary ones (and I love playing with pictures of my kids) LOL. But I really do like it.

Note: Everytime I've ever installed it, it hangs if you launch it right away. Reboot before launching if you install it.

Candy,

Free is good! Thanks for the hint. You don't like MS Office?

Lori,

You're probably right about listing the equipment, really people don't care, as long as the work gets done!

All,

Anyone familiar with MS Digital Imaging? Can this be used to work on graphics or just photos?

It's 4:25 a.m. and time to work on my fun job ( smile.gif ) before I go to my "real" ( sad.gif ) job.

I thank you all for the input on the site, it's great to have talented eyes look it over.

Rita

MS Digital Imaging does have some rudimentary controls. It allows you to crop images, play with colouring, clean up fuziness, remove red eye, etc.

It's rudimentary at best, as it is designed primarily for editing photos and faxes. IF it's just a matter of softening the lines on your banner, you could use it with some practice and patience. Just don't get your hopes up, as the end result may not be too great.

The Gimp is free, as it was originally designed for Linux, most of the tools you need are easily accessible, and it'll open up options for better working images on your website project.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info on Dig. Imag. I was up at 4 a.m. and did go ahead and mess around with the banner in it and it does look better but it's still BIG. The Gimp interests me but when I (quickly) checked out the site, it wasn't clear which download I should pick. Like I said it was a quick peek, I'll have to go take a better look.

I do think that the letters in Virtual Friday look much clearer now but some other things, like my contact info are fuzzy now. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Thanks again, I need all the help I can get.

Rita