sherio

responsive web design

Now that I've addressed GDPR and SSL, I'm looking into making my website responsive, i.e., easy to use from nearly any device. The template I purchased three years ago claimed it was responsive, but Google's Mobile-Friendly Test says otherwise. [ https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly ]

It lists several errors with images, CSS, and JavaScript. I have tried every variation of the URL I can think of, but the same error messages are being generated. I'm about to tear my hair out. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

The test page is sheriorloff.com/rwd.html

Sheri

• Like 1

Yes definitely not responsive website template and if bought 3 years ago, doubt it even was as that wasn't even considered much back then. Maybe contact them and tell them it isn't, they could have an update for it?

Have you considered switching over to WordPress? There are tons of free and paid responsive themes for this. It wouldn't be too hard to switch over either and you could probably switch it over in the same amount of time it would take you to figure this out ;)  Not to mention Wordpress themes are so "in" now. HTML templates are oldschool anymore ;)

Here's some Wordpress Learning Tools, Themes, etc.

Hi Tawnya,

Thank you for your suggestions. The developer of the template is no longer providing technical support. I have considered WordPress, but am resisting. I have previously worked with a WP site which was constantly having issues. It may or may not be due to heavy customization. I like the idea of being able to make changes offline myself and avoid the need to call in a developer often.

You can definitely edit WordPress offline. If you are comfortable with installing a server environment on your computer, then you can download your online database to edit offline, make changes and then re-import. But again, this is only if this is something you are familiar and comfortable with.

Otherwise, I still agree with Tawnya to just go with WordPress. You can also make test pages and preview them before making them "live". It just makes it much easier to work with and many WordPress themes are mobile responsive.

• Like 1

Thank you, Veronica. I won't rule out WordPress. 😀

• Like 1