Hi! I am interested in potentially pursuing a career as a VA and am looking for some advice as to how to go about it.  I have done some research and am finding I get different answers everywhere I look.  I am finishing up my GED right now and have lots of experience in customer service and have strong computer skills, but only a moderate amount of administrative and next to no business experience. What would be a recommended course to take? I was considering either a certificate in office or business administration to start. Is this necessary? Recommended? Any advice on best course of training would be appreciated. Either on here or contact me through email if you are willing to chat one on one. Thank you in advance for any and all advice. 

Stephanie

• Like 1

Hiya Stephanie and welcome to our network. Have you signed up to our FREE VA member lounge yet? If not, I recommend you do that here then log in and watch the video on "A Career as a Virtual Assistant" as it will teach you all the basics you'll need to know to help get you started. There is also a Startup Checklist inside the lounge that is helpful.

I do have a couple of programs to help VAs get up and running and have been offering them since for many years, specifically my Virtual Assistant Career Training Program.

You might want to check out this page on check out this page

If you have strong computer skills you may be able to start right up as a VA depending on what types of services you would like to offer without taking more courses. For example, if you are going to be handling a client's social networks, proofreading or email organization you are probably ready to roll without more courses. You just need to learn some basic business setup skills, how to onboard a client, etc. which we can teach you at our network in our VAinsiders.com Club.

Why don't you set up a call with me for 15 minutes for free and I can give you some advice on next directions to take.

If you have any questions along the way just ask us :)

• Like 1

Hi Stephanie, welcome to VAnetworking! I don't think you need a specific certification, but if you don't have much background experience it could be helpful.

We have our VAvirtuosos Seminar Series that is taking place in November. If you have an extra $37, I suggest attending. I think it would help you get started and answer a lot of your questions.  

• Like 1