VAE_2018

Does blogging and offering a checklist build a customer base?

ūüĎčHello VA Community,¬†

RE:  Does Blogging and offering a checklist build a customer base? 

Relatively new with blogging, have about a month experience with it, I have established a schedule from the get-go that I feel can be managed on a weekly basis.

I'm wondering how successful is blogging and offering a checklist has helped you establish a customer base. I'm getting ready to post another blog "Startup Checklist - My ride to this point." 

My ride to this point.jpg

I started off sharing my personal experience leading me into launching my own business, and ending with now I’d like to share my version of a startup checklist to get you started on your business adventure, etc.

Looking forward to receiving your feedback on how successful or not this has been for you. 

Many thanks in advance, 

Angela 

Hey there. Is this checklist going to be used as a lead magnet, or web content?

I was thinking you could create a blog post based on your experiences and then do what is known as a content upgrade, and offer the checklist as a way of building your list.

Tawnya highly recommends new VAs start building their list as soon as possible. 

But you will have to have some way to draw traffic to your website to build your base. What are you currently using to get traffic?

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the response, as I'm getting familiar with the VA world I think you are stating basically what my question is asking. I have written a blog about my experience leading up to my checklist.  I think I'm following what you mean about a content upgrade, turning my checklist into a client base signup.  Basically, this is What I was trying to ask should I make the checklist part as a signup to receive it? And in return, I would like to hear how successful that has or has not been for others from their experience. 

Currently, one aspect of my marketing is posting weekly blogs on my networking forums, and when you click on them, they bring the traffic straight to my site.  Also, I link my blogs with my number and request assistant form although they are already on the site just for added convenience. 

Respectfully.

Good responses Mark! I am at a conference until Sunday and wish I had more time to think about this tonight but off to bed and offline all day tomorrow so thought I'd get a bit written here for you with my feedback with more to come later if needed.

What is the checklist regarding, how you got your business to the point it is? If so, you'd probably want to make the checklist relate more to a client (who is your target market?) starting up a business (rather than a VA) so you can attract them to wanting this checklist. A great lead magnet creates a desire, a need, a want! It's basically a bribe to get them to signup to your list. I would write your blog post about your own personal story and then at the end or throughout it someone add that this checklist can relate to any service based startup company and you can grab it here (SIGN UP!). This could be one of several lead magnets into your newsletter.

Actually, you could do this one on becoming a VA. I mean VAs need to hire VAs too. You could even put your affiliate links in it for my VAC and VAinsiders that you are a member of and possible make commissions from that.

Firstly, let me say thank you both for taking the time to respond.  It's much appreciated.

To answer your question Tawnya, I started the blog sharing from my personal experience leading me into launching my own business (not emphasizing what type of business I have) and ending with now I’d like to share my version of a startup checklist to get you started on your business adventure, etc.  What I wrote was with the intent of targeting anyone who wants to start a business. I purposely wanted to make sure in my writing that it would target anyone with a business idea, but don't know where to start or maybe have been thinking about starting a part-time 'hustle' on the side.  The steps I took could be used for starting any busy venture. However, I do like your angle of possibly writing a separate blog about starting your own VA business and utilize the affiliated links.  I'll give that some thought.  What triggered me to ask my question in this forum, that remains to be unanswered is how successful or not has sign-ups been when you offer a checklist?  I wanted to hear about other experiences, simply curious.  I realize there could be a variable in responses depending on the subject matter.  But, I'm also curious how others feel with holding back as you stated 'basically a bribe' to get them to signup.  Has this been a successful technique?  Because I would instead share the information vs. hold back if this isn't a successful way to obtain a client based email list.  For me, I intend to help others by sharing my knowledge by blogging about helpful ways.  Maybe one of my strengths/weakness (double edge sword). I'm a giver vs. the intent of not wanting something in return. I rather share my knowledge vs. ask for someone to sign up for it.  It's something I need to think about or find other ways to develop a client email list. In regards to a newsletter, I have not established due to FOCUSING on so many other areas.  I may revisit this in the near future, once I'm more established.  My current signup is mainly to make potentially interested clients aware of any specials (discounts, coupons, etc.).  And maybe this is something I could emphasize with a signup at the end of a blog.   

I'm hoping I had clarified my way of thinking and it came across in a positive tone. 

Again, thank you for your insight. 

I totally understand now the reasoning behind this blog post and making it appropriate for any business online. It will attract your prospective clients right? ;)

I don't have any statistics with regards to checklists having better signups than other things like tip sheets, ebooks, etc. but here are my thoughts on it ...

The idea behind the perfect lead magnet may take some strategic testing on your part as you know your target audience better than anyone else. What would they like the most? Sometimes you can ask them if you are in networking groups or even survey them through the people already on your list. 

Mark mentioned in a group coaching call that a checklist on steps to do a webinar might be a good lead magnet if someone was catering to entrepreneurs who required webinar setup services and I agree! It's short and sweet and most likely something people will give their email up for plus highly targeted. Fact is though, you still need to test your market as everyone's market is different. What your market may want compared to mine could be totally different. Like, let's say you work with business CEOS who usually are "logical, quick to act" men and I work for more "laid back" work at home moms. A checklist that is quick to read might be great for your list but for mine who have time to relax when their kids take a nap, a detailed ebook might be a better lead magnet for me.  That's why it's so important to know what your peeps want and what they would even buy if it had a price tag on it. Then give that away to them and they will sign up!

There's no successful technique to knowing which lead magnet will work best except to know your market inside and out and give them what they want. 

Sharing on your blog (new content is king for google) is awesome but make sure there is something in it for you too (building your list). Giving is fine but you also need to make money and stay in business too. You'll find over time that your list will become a crucial part of your marketing plan to get a new client whenever you need to fill another slot ;)