Hello! 

My name is Hannah and I've been working on getting a virtual assistant business together so I can work from home. I am needing to work from home due to my health. My ongoing illness has caused me to miss a lot of work and I had to leave my job in December. 

I finished schooling in March 2013 and got my diploma for Medical Assisting (MA). After being an MA/Receptionist at private practice for 18 months I have hired a urology office and then I was in hospice. I have about 6 years of experience in the medical field. 

Would it be possible for me to add in my medical field knowledge as a ”special” skill? If so, how much should that be? I was a surgery scheduler for two oncologists and I know they would've really benefited from having a virtual assistant. 

I am extremely passionate about helping others and have known all my life that I wanted a job where I helped those in need. I have many skills ranging from scheduling to order supplies. I'm also learning to code because I noticed that is requested sometimes. 

Thanks so much for your help! 

-Hannah D.

P. S. I have no clue what my business name should be! Do you have any ideas that go with my first name, Hannah? 

Hannah you can definitely niche yourself as a "medical" VA. You could work for surgeons, doctors, hospice, old folk homes, therapists, nutritionists, etc. 

Definitely add that as a special skillset you have.

When you say you are learning to code, what do you mean there? I don't know many VAs that having programming behind their belt so didn't want you to feel you had to learn this.

You'll find that each VA is unique and we all have different skillsets. You just have to figure out what you love doing and focus in on clients who need that type of work so you can market your services to them.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much ladies for the great feedback! 

In regards to coding, I wanted to learn how to design and build websites so I could do that for others. I've done some searching though after I saw what you said, Tawnya. This is something I definitely don't need to know prior to getting my website live. I'll put that on the back burner for now. 

Thank you! 

• Like 2

I recommend you learn WordPress and create your website using that. Here's some resources to learn same.

You'll learn enough creating your own website in WordPress to be able to offer WordPress maintenance services to your future clients too so bonus! Coding is not needed anymore to maintain websites with all the DIY website options out there nowadays.