We all know how much energy and focus it takes to startup and run your own business. It usually means long hours, a lot of multitasking, and juggling projects, not only for clients, but growing and supporting our own business as well. I know for many of us, I am certainly included, that elixir of the gods called coffee is a staple in our days. But, there are days coffee just isn't getting it done. This let down has had me seeking an alternative lately, or at least balance. I don't know that I would ever give up my coffee, but I said the same thing about cigarettes too, and now I'm smoke free.

I want to give a few tips to use if you ever find yourself in the same boat.

1. Get a routine! They really aren't that boring.

Over the past few years there has been a lot of research into the value of routines. Guess what? Us adults need routines just as much as our kids or pets rely on them to be happy, healthy, and enjoying life.

Several years ago Charles Duhigg published a book, "The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business". This book has spurred many into looking at their habits and replacing them with more productive ones. It has also ignited the topic of routines in the blogosphere. I won't go into exhaustive detail regarding all the benefits and the science behind routines, but i will give a couple articles by Danny Forest, a writer on "Medium."

In his 2018 article, Danny gives a great example of an effective daily routine. Then this April of 2019, Danny updated his series on routine to give more of the principles for the importance of a routine.

Put simply, if you need motivation for the day, want more productivity, and more consistent awesome results from your day, make it routine!

2. Sometimes you just need a nap!

In our formative years, we call remember going to our cubby and getting our nap mat, spreading it out as our mom, daycare worker, or teacher turned down the lights. Being a dad, I knew it was not going to be a great evening if my kids didn't get their nap in the early afternoon. So what changed for adolescents and adults? Actually not much physiologically only socially. Our society has come to believe that a nap takes away from being productive and it's childish to need a nap. Oh, wow! Society has it wrong again. 

Studies show that if everyone would continue throughout life to take those afternoon naps, societal productivity would increase dramatically!  

lifehack.org published a blog article written by Nicholas Garcia that explains how all that actually works.

Oh, and after you read the article, pull down the shade, grab the throw cover on the couch, and take a productivity nap. make it part of your routine, you deserve it!

3. The third tip for today, exercise!

I know, I know we have calls to make, email campaigns to develop, invoicing to process, engage with our social media followers, booking flights, hotels, and rental cars...the list is never ending. You can tackle it better when your body is ready it!

The Harvard Business Review actually put it this way, "Regular Exercise Is Part of Your Job". Well in our case, it is part of our business! The one activity that you can include in your routine every day that will have the greatest lasting impact on your business success is exercise! Don't believe me? Google it!!!! As a matter of fact, I decided I would do that for you, click here.(I'll invoice you my billable hours😃!)

78,800,000 results and the first three pages of the results are related to habits and routines. The one thing that is consistently included in the lists, EXERCISE!

Did you know that it's not just those articles that support exercise and fitness? VAnetworking.com stronly supports it as well through virtualassitantfitness.com! If you would like to get started in making the biggest impact on your business, get the Healthy Virtual Assistant Fitness Planner. You're not alone either. Be a part of a community that is committed to making their business as wildly successful as possible right here

Have a Fantastic VA Day!

• Like 1

Great points Chuck! Routine, naps and exercise are all things I try to incorporate into my life but it's not always easy especially the exercise. That's probably because I'm not a lover of sweating though lol!

This is a great article and I wonder how you are repurposing it for your business benefit? For example, at the end where you mention my VA fitness site you could add custom affiliate links (I'll make you an affiliate and when you log in you'll now see affiliate tab. Also there is a whole training track in your VAinsiders membership on Affiliate Marketing you can do to learn more of how to make passive money that way). You could then turn this into a blog post, break it up into social media posts, turn it into a YouTube video, put into your newsletter and/or autoresponders as more content for your list. Just some ideas as I'm big into repurposing content.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Tawnya for all the great ideas! I have had some ideas for repurposing this, but you have definitely given me a few more ideas to pursue. I truly appreciate the addition as an affiliate, and I will be diving into the Affiliate Marketing Track very soon.

I have so many aspects of my startup I am working on right now, and the ideas for what could be done with this business are really coming at a blistering pace. I believe I should partner with other VAs to help get things moving quicker.(My wife says I need to sleep sometime...LOL) I have a truck load of questions for the upcoming VAInsiders Group Coaching webinars!

On 5/13/2019 at 6:01 PM, Julian Palmer said:

Great tips Chuck!

Surely needed that for myself.

All the best!

You're welcome Julian! I am glad I could help with a little inspiration to be a better you! And hopefully these tips can help you be more efficient, exceedingly effective, and execute with excellence!

• Like 1