Sign in to follow this  
Siason89

RL Assistant Trying to go to VA status

I am a real life (RL) administrative assistant in the legal department at a very large corporation.  I have a bachelor's degree in legal studies but have yet to utilize any of the things I learned in four years of college.  There's no room for growth here, and the stigma of administrative assistant is haunting me even though I apply for paralegal work internally, I keep getting rejected.  The irony is, if I left to do paralegal work outside at another firm, I would make LESS money because this role pays surprisingly well.  I am bored and miserable though. How can I market myself as a virtual assistant with paralegal skills? I also have extensive real estate title knowledge.  I'd like to specialize in the real estate virtual assistance field so, how do I jump ship? 

• Like 1

There are 2 ways to jump ship and become a VA...

1. Since you make good money I recommend to continue working until you can save enough money to be off work 3 months (that will give you time to work on getting your business up and running without having to worry about finances).

2. Start working part-time on your business now. Work evenings/weekends or whenever you can find time to start putting together all your marketing materials like your website, etc. to get yourself set up, ready to take on new clients. Easy way to do this since you are still working and have monies rolling in would be to invest in my Virtual Assistant Career training program. It will hand hold you through the process and speed up your learning curve. Plus it includes your website!

Slowly start taking on new clients along the way. At some point it will be too much working a full-time job and starting up a business part-time and you'll know when that happens. ;) That's when you finally take the leap into full time business and quit that corporate job!

If you have any questions, just ask.

• Like 1

Welcome to VAnetworking! I don't really have anything to add to what Tawnya said. You can definitely utilize your real estate and paralegal background. There are Real Estate VAs (REVA) and also paralegal VAs. @Tawnya Sutherland, is there a Real Estate VA resource site? I thought there was.