Hello,

My name is Rachal Owens. My husband and I live in Missouri with our three kids. We both currently work full time at a warehouse and I am finishing up an Associates Degree in Business Administration. I plan to eventually open up a pet store, but in the meantime I want to work as a VA to supplement our income and hopefully grow from there. My mother-in-law suggested this a starting point so here I am. I'm excited to start this adventure and hope to get a website going soon. Any tips, tricks or other helpful information would be appreciated.

Hi Danielle, thank you. Currently we only have a miniature beagle and a 75 gallon fish tank. However, I love animals and once we have more room, I will drive my husband crazy with all the animals I bring home. :D In the past, I have had numerous dogs and cats and I have also owned rats.

• Like 1

Welcome Rachal! I coached a VA awhile back that wanted a niche and was a Jackie-of-all-trades. We went through the process of writing out her skills, but she still couldn't decide on one to call her niche as she loved doing any type of administrative work.  I suggested she then write out the things she loves. One of them was animals. Turns out her niche ended up to be working for companies that had things to do with animals like veterinarians, animal shelters, etc. She loves her niche! ;)

Thanks Tawnya, that is a great idea! I am interested in several of the services as well and currently am doing some research on them to see how I can apply my skills. I will definitely keep this in mind.

• Haha 1

Your mother-in-law is a wise woman

You are equally as wise to start a website. you'll see that this venture can attract a lot of attention. Start on some free advertising sites to get attention of people. Meanwhile start a Facebook page as well. Make sure your competitive with the market, Maybe 10% cheaper, that's what I'm doing. JoinIng groups will help as well. This group is a perfect start. 

Distribute business cards at places that have bowls that collect them, or have boards where you can post your business. Its a lot of work but I suspect you know this already myself as well as others here I'm sure will be happy to help you as much as we all can.

Good luck,and post your success.

Jason.

• Like 1

Thank you Jason!

I didn't consider the business cards, but that is a great idea. I have yet to make a Facebook page but plan to do so. My website is up and running. www.redoakva.site Which is exciting. I have joined a few Facebook groups as well. I hoping to gain some work soon. Again thank you for the encouragement and advice, it is much appreciated!

Rachal

• Like 1