Howdy!

I just joined the site and wanted to introduce myself.

Going with the list of questions so helpfully provided by Juli the Moderator, here's what you need to know about me.

• Your Name: James Husum
  • Your Website URL (if applicable): not yet established
  • Years in Business: 0 - just getting started as a VA
  • Description of your Business, including any specialties: I'm looking to be a VA for authors, helping them with getting their platform (website / mailing list) set up, as well as offering help with blogging and transcription of audio / videos
  • On a more personal note: I'm a writer myself, have my first book out on the market, and working on the next one. I used to be a programmer at NASA, and now I'm looking to start up a new career, and I need something that can be done remotely from home, in any location.
  • What City/Town/State/Country are you from?: Houston, Texas
  • Are you married? How long?: not yet 🙂
  • Any kids and how old? None, but I got a dog.
  • Hobbies & Interests: Writing, contact juggling, origami, zentangles
  • How did you hear about us? There was a link to the site in one of the newsletters I get (don't recall which one, sorry!) on building a side hustle.

Looking forward to hanging out on the forums.

Howdy James,

How exciting to see someone like you here! Seeing that you're new and have plans to work with authors, are you actually seeking a VA to help transcribe audios and videos? I've helped numerous people who've needed transcripts for their audios and/or videos.

Several became quite famous in the internet marketing world such as: Tony Robbins, David E. Perry, Russel Brunson -- even Aurora Lipper, formerly with NASA -- (if you recall her), who moved into teaching online science programs for children.

I've also helped with a book on Amazon, as a sort of "ghost" writer. It's called The Greatest Networkers in the World, by John Milton Fogg. Nearly all of it was transcribed, although it will not appear so. You can take a look at it if you'd like.

Back to me-- I've been doing transcription for the past 12-something years. Currently, I'm editing a book for an internet marketer, so I'm focusing a bit more in that direction. If you have professional editing skills with samples of your work, I may be able to refer you to a PhD in psychology who needs an editor for a 75,000+ word book.

Edited by ScriBeR18
Additional Info... Name: Deb Burtley, Email: deb.burtley@gmail.com

Hi James and welcome, glad you found us. Thanks for the introduction, always good to get to know our readers a bit deeper. I had to google zentangles but learned a new word today. ;)

On 10/29/2019 at 5:17 PM, ScriBeR18 said:

Howdy James,

How exciting to see someone like you here! Seeing that you're new and have plans to work with authors, are you actually seeking a VA to help transcribe audios and videos?

[snip]

Back to me-- I've been doing transcription for the past 12-something years. Currently, I'm editing a book for an internet marketer, so I'm focusing a bit more in that direction. If you have professional editing skills with samples of your work, I may be able to refer you to a PhD in psychology who needs an editor for a 75,000+ word book.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not currently looking for any help with transcriptions but I appreciate the offer. I'll keep you in mind if I need help, though.

Also, I could do professional editing, but I don't plan to offer that as a service. Since I've got my own writing career I'm trying to get going I don't want ANY potential conflict on something I have in one of my books being like something in someone else's book. I suppose if I get any non-fiction clients I could do editing, but it isn't what I'm trying to focus on right now.

On 11/1/2019 at 6:07 PM, Danielle said:

Hi James, welcome to the forum! 

Thanks!

On 11/1/2019 at 6:10 PM, Tawnya Sutherland said:

Hi James and welcome, glad you found us. Thanks for the introduction, always good to get to know our readers a bit deeper. I had to google zentangles but learned a new word today. ;)

Glad I could introduce you to something new. Usually people ask me about contact juggling instead. 🙂

The easiest way to describe CJ is to ask if you've seen the movie Labyrinth? There is a scene near the beginning of the move when the Goblin King (played by David Bowie) shows up. He has a glass ball that sits in his palm that he then proceeds to roll around his hands. It lloks impossible and like something that is done with special effects, but it is actually being handled by a guy name Michael Moschen, who stands behind Bowie and does the contact juggling.