kimmer

Office Equipment.

How about office equipment?

I'll moderate this one if you want Tawnya.

My question is....does anyone use those all in ones? You know, the fax, copier, printer? I'm thinking of purchasing one, just wanted some feed back. if anyone had any.

I'm also thinking about purchasing an all-in-one. I already have a great printer, but I thought it couldn't hurt to have a back-up and one that I could scan and copy were important features for me right now. The one thing I'm battling with is whether it should be a regular unit or a flat bad? :huh:

Any comments you may have would be appreciated. ;)

Jennifer

Hello all! :)

I don't have an all in one. The only thing that bothers me about all in ones is that if one part breaks down, you have to send the whole thing in for repair. On the other hand, some of them are cheap enough that it is more prudent to buy another unit, than have it repaired. The other thing I would carefully check is the cost of running the equipment, namely ink! I have heard (hearsay only) that some units use more ink than regular ink jet printers. I would carefully compare before purchasing.

Hello All,

I have an all-in-one and for the very reasons Naomi suggests, I approached my purchase with caution. Here's my story:

I create a lot of large, comprehensive reports for clients. Each one requires a combination of scanning, faxing, printing and copying, among other things. Lack of space and still not having the right mix of office equipment had become a real issue. My office wasn't getting any bigger yet my office equipment had slowly taken over valuable workspace. I felt scrunched for space and resented it!

I decided to investigate all-in-ones. My goal was to consolidate a flatbed scanner and color deskjet while adding features like a stand-alone fax and a copier. Of course, my other goal was to purchase something that wouldn't take up a lot of room. After reading many on- and offline reviews, creating a comparison chart in Excel, and test-driving and measuring all-in-ones at office equipment stores, I selected the hp officejet 7130xi. It consistently ranked higher than other all-in-ones for its mega features and value. With a $100 USD coupon, I was able to purchase it at Costco's for a lot less than its suggested retail price offered at office equipment chain stores.

If you are considering an all-in-one, do your homework. Think about the services you offer and then list the features most important to you and those you'd like to have. What features can you live without? Consider things like speed, quantity, quality, memory, and measurements. Shop around and ask around, and be sure to purchase a good service contract. I absolutely love my all-in-one and don't regret purchasing it for a minute.

I hope this helps!

I have an all in one, but only because of 2 reasons...

1) It was more cost effective for me at the time

2) I live in an apartment where space is already pretty limited.

If I had had more money and space, I would have sprung for seperate machines. Don't get me wrong, I love my all-in-one, but as Naomi says, if one thing breaks down on it, I've last it all (thank God that hasn't happened yet).

I was looking into buying a laser printer for my business, but I'm wondering if it is worth the extra cost.

I have been doing some on-site work for a client for some time now, and she uses a Lexmark all-in-one. I'm not impressed with the print quality of it, and that's why I was thinking of going with a laser. Perhaps I should just be looking at a better quality all-in-one?

I agree that it would be a real pain if one part breaks down, to lose all of your functions until it is repaired. But I already have separate equipment (colour inkjet, fax and scanner). I would be looking at an all-in-one primarily for the copying feature. Which begs the question: how good is the copying feature of all-in-ones? (We have a separate copier at my client's site, so I don't use the all-in-one for that).

What brands of equipment do you recommend?

Lori

Hi! I have an HP psc 2210xi all-in-one fax, scanner, copier, color printer, and digital media reader and I LOVE it!

I got it at Costco for under $200 about a year ago. It works great, the print quality for printing, scanning and copying is excellent. The only issue I've had with it was a communication thing (I'm on Win 98) but talked with tech support one day and got that worked out fine.

Otherwise, it's been a real workhorse and was a great investment. I'm very impressed with it. I had a really good scanner previously, and was concerned about downgrading, but it works almost just as well as that one did, and takes the place of 3 machines.

I'm very glad I got it.

Valerie

I use a Brother MFC-9180 laser all-in-one (called a "multi-function centre" here in Oz). It's terrific! Print quality, speed, ease of use are all excellent and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

It's the only unit I have and is a real workhorse. In 18 months I haven't had any trouble with it and the cost of printing is around 5 cents a page.

Trish

I love mine! I purchased it about a year ago...it's a Lexmark 5150. The print, scan and copy quality are excellent...but it's not a photo printer...it also has the fax software, but I don't use that feature as I have a separate fax machine. I have no complaints...its great for what I need.

Kathleen