Recently I was offered a position of payroll and other clerical duties from home. However the guy said he would only pay me monthly and I had to go buy envelopes, check paper, and regular white (plain paper). I told him I would need a deposit to start and even consider the position. He said he didn't like paying upfront that was to so this to start the position.

After a week he got back to me and asked if I considered the proposition. I told him I would if he met my 3 request, the Address of where this was taking place, he paid me weekly, and if I got his location. He has yet to respond. 

My question is, how do I stop scams or can I and how many so you all encounter?

Jason

Wa. State

Scammers are getting smarter and smarter nowadays. If your gut says run, RUN! Watch for red flags too. If they don't want to follow your business protocols I'd find a client that will.

As far as reporting/stopping scammers, I wouldn't waste your valuable time. Just do your own due diligence when vetting a new prospective client and hope others do the same. Look out for yourself.

• Like 1

vainsiders.jpg

Guest Tawnya

Thank you,

I've been looking for clients and everyone that comes my way I think I did a good job and then turns out a scam. Kinda gets discouraging.

I had one scammer contact me for some of my tutoring services. Nothing stood out, but as is my habit, I googled him. Wow! He had scammed other small businesses especially work from home people and there was at least one newspaper article on him. Buh-bye! 

Google may not reveal everything but it's a good start. I also check to see if the person has a legit business license with my state registrar, check their website if they have one, check their personal and any business Facebook. You can learn a lot that way! Telltale signs if they don't have some of the markers of a business, brick and mortar address, some kind of online presence, registered with the state etc.