Sign in to follow this  

newsletters in Publisher on the web

Ok, I am wearing out my welcome on this piece of web real estate but my mind is racing along as I gather my ideas for my newsletter (can you tell I am excited?).

I just remembered that you can use Publisher to create online newsletters and it allows for hyperlinks to be inserted, etc. So far I see no reason not to do it this way as my newsletter would still be in html and thus searchable, wouldn't it?

Has anyone else done their newsletter this way?

Karri

Karri, - it's my turn re: newsletter. I too have just finished my newsletter in Publisher and am not sure what to do with it now. I'm hoping I don't have to get a website and can 'do' it off an email. What did you finally do - I tried to copy it over to FrontPage but there are too many fiddly things I'd have to do and I don't have the time. I like the way it is in Publisher. What was your solution. Publisher MUST be able to handle this somehow since it's viewable in a browser.

Thanks

I would go Danielle's route of converting it to PDF and putting it on your website. Trying to convert Publisher to clean HTML is nearly impossible, though it has been done. I just don't like how it looks.

Also, not all e-zine distribution providers will allow attachments to your e-mails, you would have to find one that does this. The other thing is many spam filters will catch any broadcast e-mails that have attachments and not accept it.

To get around that, I would put the PDF on your website and have a text e-zine that simply says the e-zine is now available for viewing, these are the topics covered, with a link to the PDF. Your subscriber would click on the link to view the PDF.

I use FrontPage to develop the HTML for my e-zine. You can use any HTML editor to develop your e-zine. smile.gif

I actually decided against Publisher for the exact reasons Naomi just stated. Way too much hassle to convert to HTML.

That said, I think you have the option of converting your file by doing a "Send as email" function in Publisher. However, you wouldn't be able to use an e-zine distribution service like ezine director for that. And if you just blast a whole bunch of people with the same email you could be viewed as spamming.

The other thing is that pdf files do not provide any ability to optimize for search engines. (ie. to my knowledge, the search engines cannot read a pdf file for indexing purposes, etc.). So you are losing out on a good opportunity to build page rank with your newsletter. But if that is not one of your newsletter goals, then you might not worry too much about this anyway.

Karri

PS: I just released my very first edition of Outsmart this morning! You can check it out at http://www.snap-va.com/newsletter-Aug-Sep-05.htm

Karri, I just looked at your newsletter and it's fFantastic - great work. applause.gif I was just wondering one thing when I looked at the top and you wrote semi-monthly I thought that's a big chunk of time to write a newsy letter like that twice a month. Then I saw August/September as your premiere issue. I just want to make sure that you mean 'semi' which means 2 x per month and not bi-monthly which mean once every 2 months. Sometimes when we're on information overload those little things can slip by. Just checkin'....it really is great with loads of content. I think I will have to revamp mine a bit more to have it look as good. thumbup.gif

Jo - That is soooooooooo funny that you caught the "semi-monthly" thing!

I actually only plan to publish it once every 2 months. Originally I had written bi-monthly and then I second guessed myself and changed it to read "semi-monthly." I thought bi-monthly meant twice a month???? Let me get out that dang dictionary (which I should've done in the first place. LOL).

.... Ok. "bimonthly" means "occurring every two months" and "semi-monthly" means "occurring once or twice a month."

UGH! I am going to fix that right now to read Bi-monthly. Why did I second guess myself?!?!?!

Thank you Jo! Nothing worse than the misuse of the English language. How embarrassing.

Karri

Jo - That is sooooooo funny that you caught the "semimonthly" thing!

I actually only plan to publish it once every 2 months. Originally I had written bimonthly and then I second guessed myself and changed it to read "semi-monthly." I thought bimonthly meant twice a month???? Let me get out that dang dictionary (which I should've done in the first place. LOL).

.... Ok. "bimonthly" means "occurring every two months" and "semimonthly" means "occurring once or twice a month."

UGH! I am going to fix that right now to read "Bimonthly." Why did I second guess myself?!?!?!

Thank you Jo! Nothing worse than the misuse of the English language. How embarrassing.

Karri

Ooops. I got so caught up in the bimonthly vs semimonthly discussion I forgot to say THANK YOU everyone for the kind words re my first newsletter. It was a lot of work and I was a bit nervous about the content to be honest as I know I am not necessarily writing about completely mainstream stuff.

I am glad you guys liked it. Makes me excited about putting together the next one.

Now I just need to build up that subscriber list ... wink.gif

Karri

Wow! Your newsletter is awesome! Congradulations...job well done! applause.gif

No problemo Karri, that's what this tight little forum's all about and I hope/know someone would do the same for me. I've also decided to go the FrontPage route - not as much trouble as I thought since the content's pretty much done. I have to tell you all (but I think you already know) that I LOVE colours so maybe my newsletter isn't the way a lot are but when I was reading my Websites for Dummies this am it says you HAVE to be yourself if you're going into biz so that's what it is... It'll also be fairly short but I plan on building on it with time - for now it will be a link on my website.

See ya all - should be starting my market research job this pm....wish me luck - off on another adventure. tongue.gif

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to Become a VA?
    Invest in The VAC!
    How Do YOU Startup A

Virtual Assistant Organization Association
    Upgrade Your FREE Account & Receive Today...
    * Access to Our Bus JOB Board *
    * Group Coaching & Training*
    *Training Tracks*
    * Private Mastermind Area *
    * Business Templates *
    * Contracts & Forms*
    * Plus VAinsider Perks! *
    UPGRADE HERE

HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.