Sign in to follow this  

MindyBishop's Intro

Hello everyone!

I've been eyeball deep in reasearch here lately. I'm new to the VA world and FINALLY I have found you! You guys are my Godsend! I have been browsing the topics and posts and I must say that I have gotten more ideas and info from here than I have anywhere as of yet!

I have found dead ends and many many websites with material for VA's and frankly I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I've got pages and pages of notes and printed materials. I need to get organized and find a starting point!

Anyhow, this being an introduction thread well, let me introduce myself. My name is Mindy. I'm a mother of two adorable boys 9 & 2. I live in rural Louisiana and me and my wonderful hubby both work at home. I've been an administrative assistant for some time now and came home to help hubby with his business and now ready to do something on my own now that I've got that streamlined for him. I've enjoyed being here with him and the kids and didn't want to leave the house to work.

I have decided that you guys are my new best friends after reading your posts. I'm pleased that I've found such a nice, intelligent group of people to seek advice from (hopefully in the future I'll be able to offer some as well).

Welcome Mindy! :bighug:

Your very right about this Forum! I've been here for awhile now and it's the best place I've found to learn, brainstorm and find support.

Any questions ....ask away!

Hi Mindy!

Glad you found us and yes, we are a great wealth of VA info here. We look forward to your contributions. I have 2 boys myself but they are a bit older 10 and 13, plus a 17 year old daughter who lives with her dad across the street. Your hands must be full!

Tawnya

Welcome to the gang Mindy! :yay:

We have a great bunch here ready to listen and share their ideas and experiences. There is already a lot of valuable information posted here, I often go back and read many of the posts myself. Don't be shy and ask as many questions as you need to. We also look forward to hearing about some of your own experiences.

I hope you enjoy your time here and I look forward to seeing you here often. Good luck with your research!

Jennifer

Hi Mindy & welcome!

You are right in that this forum has an overwhelming amount of information, and the members are a great help. I am just in the process of setting up my own VA business, and everyone here and all the information that is posted, has made things so much easier.

Looking forward to seeing you often!!!

Lori

:girlsout:

Thank you so much for the warm welcomes!! Virtual hugs for you all!

Hands full? Well, a bit at times...it helps having daddy work at home as well. Not to mention, I live in the middle of a ton of family who adore my kids and pratically line up at the door to steal them away!!!

I was up pratically ALL NIGHT last night reading this forum from start to finish. I have to commend you all being such an infomative group! I got up (earlier than I would have liked to) and tried to finish everything I had to do so that I could rush back to see if there was anything new. I think you have a "vanf junkie" in the making here!! :naughty:

Right now I'm in the process of collecting data for my website. Exhausting to say the least. I don't want to start marketing myself without a website to refer potential clients to. I want to send out "teaser" material with a refernce to my website where they can find additional information. And I don't want to print a bunch of material until I have my website active...so that's pretty much where I've decided my starting point needs to be. If anyone else has any input, bless you heart, I'd love ya forever :D

Sounds like a good starting point to me!

I can only give you my experiences...

When I first started....I researced the VA field for quite a while....honed up on my Admin skills...found every bit of resources I could on the net...built my website...got my business license, then started with the marketing aspects.

Marketing materials, branding, targeting my client base, etc.

Then it was off to Networking, getting out in the public, creating a name for myself, making contacts, etc.

I landed my first client, about 2 months into the opening of my business, and have gained a couple more and some one timers since then.

It's a long row to hoe...but well worth the effort, to become an independant business owner!

Any questions at all?....don't hesitate to ask...like Tawnya says...

"No Question is a Stupid Question"!

Oh yes, one more thing....there's no way you will learn everything all at once! I've been learning and growing as a person and business owner ever since I opened the doors.

And thanks to this place, I have somewhere to go everyday to interact with people just like me.

Everyday there's more to learn! :thumbup:

Edited by kimmer

Okay...got the biz lic. Got that checked off my list early. Got the biz acct. Got my puter, 2 printers (one b & w laser, one color), scanner and fax. Got a rubbermaid box slam full of software. I've got QB's, MS Office, Works, PDF reader, and a few others on my computer now but might have to drag out that box sooner or later :(

Hubby is an independent sales rep so we have a home office set up already. Yippee!!! I'm also hoping to use him as a marketing tool as he works with businesses setting up merchant accounts. He visits a LOT of small and start up businesses. I'm thinking of slipping my business card into the welcome kit the merchants receive...hehehe.

But like I said right now I am reasearching, researching, researching----TONS of info. for web site. I'm trying to determine how to approach this web site thing....WHEW!!!

Having your Husband in a field that may help you is a really good thing!! If something comes up ( with one of his clients) in the way of the services your going to provide, that would be a good "in" for him to mention you!

I'd make sure my Husband was up on exactly what kind of services I provide/what I had to offer. That way he is informed enough to talk about your business.

Just old Kimmers 2 :penny:

Good thinking. I naturally assume that he's clued in but well...he's a man. :blink:

He'd probably be out there pitching me as the master cookie baker and boo boo kisser.

You gotta love people with a sense of humour. :D

It sounds like you are off to a great start Mindy. I felt that research was the key in starting my business. I continue to research today and plan to continuously.

As far as your website, I felt the same way. I really didn't want to seriously market myself until my site was done. Unfortunately I didn't have any experience in creating websites so I initially looked into having someone do a site for me, but it really wasn't in the budget and I decided I wanted it to be something that "I" created. (I don't usually do things the easy way). Then I thought I would purchase a "template" and use that, but after careful consideration and advice from others I decided against that route as well. So..... I decided to create my site myself. A lot of late nights, a ton of advice from other VA's and an enormous amount of valuable information from this forum I created my own site. I was so excited, because I did it myself (content, layout and graphics). I don't know if you have experience with website creation, but all I can say is continue your research and decide which way would be best for you. Be rest assured that if you decide to do it yourself, help is just a couple of clicks away.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress. B)

Jennifer

Well, I'm not terribly experienced with web sites. I've done a couple of "click here to upload your picture" websites through geocities that ended up looking like an eight year old put it together. Lucky for me I'm a quick learner and can't stand the idea that I can't do something myself. So, here I am 1 and a half sleepless nights behind me and I've got a binder full of printed materials and half a spiral full of notes and 4 pages of my new web site (that I started working on 8 hours ago) completed. I became obsessed and just couldn't quit until I figured it out. Bad habit of mine. But I am pretty proud of myself. By my estimates, I should have a live, informative web site up and running by this time tommorow morning.

I've just got SO MUCH information to go through and I'm praying I don't inadvertently plagarize someone. There's only so many ways you can say some stuff!!! I've read so much stuff the past few days I can't tell what are my own thoughts and what came from somewhere else!!! Couple that frustration with sleep deprivation and I'm a sad, sad sould lemme tell ya! My plan is to run the key phrases I've got through a search engine to make sure it's not identical to someone else's. Any other thoughts on that???

That may work with the search engines Mindy but you can bet your butt if you do have some plagerizm on your website, eventually someone will contact you about it as I hear that all the time on other lists. If it happens, just be considerate and reword yours at that time and say sorrrry ;) I can bet your head is full right now with all your readings and trying to distinguish in your notes which is your writings and which are others has become a blur.

Good luck with your website, I can't wait to see it! We are also very helpful in here and can answer most questions on webdesign so feel free to post any you have.

Tawnya