Hello Ladies & Gentlemen!

Hope everyone is having a great Monday :thumbup:

Do any of you have clients with database contacts over 4000?

I have a client that is currently using ACT and was going to purchase ACT web but we have not had the best service with them. Anyhow, I need to find out what other database options are out there, that are user friendly and preferable can be used on the web. ANY IDEAS, THOUGHTS?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Michelle Davis

All You Need Business Services

Guest Snoodrey

Hi Michelle,

I am not working with huge database projects, but I would figure that Access is more user friendly with its wizards and the like. I have not used ACT...but am becoming more aware that it is available. Still, I would stick with something I knew I could work with. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about ACT!, so Access would be my application of choice. Maybe others have another database to suggest...my experience with Access suggests that I stick with tried and true...and for learning programming as well! (VBA)

I do not yet have strong experience with any of the major database programs, but I will tell you what I have learned. I just purchased Quickbooks Customer Manager, based on its features, good reviews, and the fact that it came free with my purchase of Quickbooks Pro. I have also heard that ACT! is very good for much the same features, and is very popular with many sales professionals. I believe these have been discussed in other threads here by people who know much more than I, so look around. One of the main things to consider is the purpose this program will serve for you...

In Access, you design your own database from scratch. It can be used for databases of all kinds because you design all the forms, reports, etc. that go into it. Programs like ACT! and QB Cust Mgr are pre-designed database programs specifically intended to help you track customer/client information and help you automate tasks such as labels, mailings, customer contact reminders, and much more. If that is the main thing you need from a database program, I would recommend getting one of these that does not require you to do so much design from the beginning. You should be able to have a database started in no time since you just have to set up your personalized options and enter your data. If you will need to have the capability to create many types of databases, Access is generally the most widely used.

As for web access, I do not believe that is a feature of QB Cust Mgr. I don't know about ACT! or Access. However, you should be able to use any of them if you use a remote access program (gotomypc, logmein, etc. also discussed previously here) to log into your client's computer. You should be able to access and use most any program or document on the computer you are accessing.

Edited by julieensor

Hi Michelle,

I would suggest looking into access for this. Most webhost that allow SQL databases also have the ability to use an Access database on them. I havn't tried this feature but it may be worth checking out. Access would require you to set up the database but there are some templates in it for customer management that will get you started. If you need any assistance then please let me know.

Thank you all for your responses! I honestly do not know what to do for this client..... Act seems so difficult, no user friendly and I am not familiar with Access... Do you either of you know if I can export the currect Act database into Access?

Thanks again for your help!!!

I just checked in Access and ACT! isn't one of the programs it will import. If you don't know either of them, you might as well go with the one your client is using. I've heard people who use it regularly love it. If I were you, I'd start doing some serious research online to see if there is a service such as you describe but I've heard the ACT! program isn't very exportable and re-entering the information doesn't sound like a pleasant job. There are some very good books out there to help us learn just about any program imaginable. I've used ACT! and, while it isn't set up the way most programs are (well, the BIG one we use most often), it's definitely not as intimidating as it looks at first blush.

Good luck with your efforts.

Hi -

I'm not familiar with ACT at all, but I had a thought...If ACT doesn't play nice with Access, can ACT be exported to Excel either with an .xls or .csv file? If so, you can then export it that way, then import the file into Access. Kind of a workaround if ACT will allow it.

Just a thought!

I have been using ACT! for about 5 years now and have continued to upgrade as new versions come out. You can use ACT! as a regular database and customize reports. You do not need to use the pre-designed one's. You can also customize the database fields. I presently work with three different databases throughout the day. I like it for the most part, except when printing single envelopes. For some reason, sometimes you have to run an envelope through the printer 2-3 times.

Kim

Programs like ACT! and QB Cust Mgr are pre-designed database programs specifically intended to help you track customer/client information and help you automate tasks such as labels, mailings, customer contact reminders, and much more.

Access is more power. ACT! is not as hard as it looks. If you have some specific questions, feel free to contact me and I will try to help. Access is more universally known and accepted but I believe that it takes longer to learn Access. I am in the process of learning it enough to be able to build a simple database just because I know someone is going to ask me to do something for them in Access one day.

Kim

Thank you all for your responses! I honestly do not know what to do for this client..... Act seems so difficult, no user friendly and I am not familiar with Access... Do you either of you know if I can export the currect Act database into Access?

Thanks again for your help!!!

Guest Snoodrey

Having only used Access, I am not sure about the strengths or limitations of ACT! I'm sure that others swear by it...while others swear at it! I am stuck on Access and since I know it has few limitations, that is the only database software I would likely use. I will see what the database component of Open Office.org is like, but for my money, I will stick with Access!

I have only used ACT! (new version you can import into EXCEL, finally!!) and often wondered if I should switch to ACCESS. I am aggresively trying to learn ACCESS so that I don't limit myself.

Can you discuss some of the limitations that you feel ACCESS has??

Kim

Having only used Access, I am not sure about the strengths or limitations of ACT! I'm sure that others swear by it...while others swear at it! I am stuck on Access and since I know it has few limitations, that is the only database software I would likely use. I will see what the database component of Open Office.org is like, but for my money, I will stick with Access!

What some people may not realize is that you can customize fields in an ACT! database. You can delete and add fields, rename fields. You can even create reports and templates from scratch.

I do understand the difference though. I have been practicing with ACCESS and you do need to know it before attempting to use it.

Thanks!!!

Kim

Guest Snoodrey

I just downloaded OpenOffice 2.0 and it comes with a free database application that can open Access database files. All you do is save your Access database to this version when you save it. It appears to do pretty much everything you want it to do as you can do in Access...plus more. I did not see about Data Access pages or the like...but I figure for a free database application...it has a lot of good things to check out. I will still use Access for whatever else I need (and will upgrade to 2003 shortly), but for anyone who uses a variety of other database programs, I suggest you check this one out!

Go to http://www.openoffice.org, and then download version 2.0. It is free and comes with a math program and a Visio type program. I would ahve stayed with the previous version had it showed a powerful database program like this. You can even create SQL statements. So unlike FireFox, I can see why this would be a good application to work with as a freebie. It is just as good in many ways as Microsoft Office...except if you need to use Office for more powerful database management and PowerPoint graphics, you won't have the same experience with OpenOffice. I signed up so I will do what I can to promote this Office Suite as well as Microsoft Office.