Sign in to follow this  
Lori

Email monitoring

Hi All,

I am considering providing the service of email monitoring for clients, but am unsure how this works.

Is there any way of having a client's email automatically forwarded to my email address? Or do I have to obtain access to their own email account, and view the mail from there? If so, how is this done?

Any help you can give me on this would be great! '

Lori

Hi Lori:

There are several ways you can handle this for your clients. You can have their e-mail system have an alias forward, which will send the e-mail directly to your e-mail. You can set up your e-mail client, Outlook, Eudora, etc., to go out and check the POP account of your clients. This downloads your clients' e-mail to your e-mail system. You will need their passwords.

You can set up your e-mail client to answer with your clients' e-mail addresses. In Eurdora this is called a personality. This way, if an e-mail comes in directed to abc@abccompany.com, when you respond the address is automatically in the from as from abs@abccompany.com.

You can set up filters to direct mail for or from your client to go into specific folders. This way you are not wading through a ton of e-mails trying to find an e-mail specific to a specific client. I have several folders set up, e.g., New Alumni, New E-zine, New VTP, etc. What e-mails I want to save I move to a more permanent folder, the other e-mails I take care of immediately or delete. These "New" folders stay relatively empty and only have the most recent e-mails listed, per the filters I set up.

Hope this helps.

Hi Naomi,

Thanks for the help. A lot of what you have said is definitely over my head, but I get the impression that setting things up to monitor my client's email is not a difficult thing to do.

When I get my business going, and if I decide to do this (and the demand is there), do you think I could ask you to walk me through setting it up, step by step? That would be a tremendous help!

Lori

:)

Naomi,

I wouldn't mind a step by step myself on the subject ;)

Sure, not a problem on the step by step, though I have to open my Outlook and look at it again to figure it out. (I haven't used it for over a year now.) Of course, if there is someone out there who already does this with Outlook, they could do the step by step for Outlook (it will save me time from having to reteach myself), and I can do the step by step for Eudora.

Anyone want to do the step by step for Outlook? We'll start a new thread in a day or so with the step by step instructions. :)

I use Outlook - never used Eudora. Hopefully there will be someone out there who can hold a "virtual class" on it for us Kimmer!

Lori

I've never used Eudora either, I'm sure someone will help us Lori.

I will try to have something posted by Friday on both Outlook and Eudora. Since there have not been any takers on giving instructions on how to do this with Outlook, I'll do it. Of course, if anyone wants to step to the plate. :)

Eurdora and Outlook e-mail, personalities, and working with clients, Friday.

That is a good idea Tawnya. I would have to write the article in a way of showing how a VA could manage a client's e-mail. I could write a paragrah on managing e-mails for clients, then have a table one side Outlook and the other side Eudora.

I have several subscribers that are non-VA's, and I am anticipating even more non-VA's in the next few months (i.e., future potential clients). So I want to keep writing the newsletter in a way that both target markets walk away with valuable information. Some of the VA's who do not know how to do this can go, oh that's how it is done. The clients can go, oh that's how it is done, that's too much work for me. I'm going to hire a VA! :D

February 1, the third edition of Top Shelf Virtual Report!, Outlook and Eudora email management.

Edited by NaomiBlvs

Great idea ladies! And thanks for the offer to help Naomi - you are wonderful!!!

But this poses another problem for me - I have subscribed to both of your newsletters, Tawnya and Naomi, but as of yet, I haven't received either. Can you please make sure that I am on your list? If I am, can you suggest things I might need to check as to why I'm not getting them?

Thanks,

Lori