Sign in to follow this  
Guest ctbabydoll

I'm soooo confused!!!!!

I agree that 12 years out of an adminitrative role is a very long time, especially considering how quickly technology changes. This will certainly limit your ability to offer a complete line of VA services. You have to be very careful to offer only those services you have a strong competency in.

My mother was a stay-at-home mom for over 20 years when she suddenly had to re-enter the work force. She knew practically nothing about computers (not even how to check email or get on the internet), but she had very strong typing and secretarial skills from her previous work. She did have to learn a lot, but she was able to re-join the workforce quickly by building onto her knowledge base to get up to speed on the new ways of doing things. I am not suggesting that this is an ideal situation, but I also don't think previous experience (even if it was a while back) should be totally discounted.

Ideally, you would be working in an outside administrative role now (or soon) in order to "update" your business skills. Training from books and online courses will definitely be helpful, too. You will also need to learn more about the "virtual" business world and its techonologies and terminology, as well as how to start a business. For marketing advice, Heather's book really is great - full of practical and inexpensive ideas you can use.

Having said all that, if you have very strong skills in specific areas, I don't see any reason why you couldn't start your business by just offering those few basic services (i.e. typing, data entry, transcription, etc.). Maybe label yourself as a word processor or transcriptionist, rather than a "virtual assistant" until you are able to offer more services. You could refer clients to other VAs if they are needing more comprehensive services until you are able to expand.

In the meantime, keep learning all you can and make up a business plan so you can have a goal and plan of attack at the beginning of the year when you have some capital.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and keep at it! :)

Guest ctbabydoll

If a person doesn't have those qualifications, it is a disservice to themselves, the profession and, most importantly, to clients to start a VA practice if they are unqualified and ill-equipped.

If a person is intent on starting a VA business, and their administrative skills qualifications are not up to par (which I have to be honest with you - I believe may be the case here), the best training you can get is to get back into the administrative field, at least for a little while.

Danielle,

I would love to get into the administrative field again. It would be wonderful to be able to work in an office 9am - 5pm, weekends and holidays off, nice people to work with all the time, etc. Unfortunately, administrative jobs here in CT don't pay anywhere close to what I make as a dealer. I earn $4.85 per hour plus tips (usually between $13-16 per hour). So, if I knew of someplace here in CT where I can get a job in administration earning $18-21 per hour, I'd love to go apply there. Right now, being a VA has to take a backseat to providing for my daughter.

I think it's possible to learn a lot from "book learning". Of course, my business won't be as extensive as some of yours to start with. I was thinking of offering basic typing, transcription, proof reading, and basic office services. I'm not talking about offering anything I don't already know how to do.

Danielle, I have to tell you, I am disappointed. I was hoping for encouragement from all the VA's. I understand quite a few of you started out not knowing ANYTHING about this business and have been able to create your businesses and make successes out of them. I really wasn't prepared for someone to tell me to quit my job and go get a secretary's job for about half what I make now, just to get experience. I can't afford to do that, no way, no how.

My business is going to have to be built slowly. I know I won't be able to just quit my job as a dealer and make a good living as a VA. It's going to take time and patience and energy (and probably most of my time on my days off) but I'm going to do it. I'll learn over time how to design a web site, and all the other things a professional VA needs to know. I just won't be able to do it all at once.

Having said all that, if you have very strong skills in specific areas, I don't see any reason why you couldn't start your business by just offering those few basic services (i.e. typing, data entry, transcription, etc.). Maybe label yourself as a word processor or transcriptionist, rather than a "virtual assistant" until you are able to offer more services. You could refer clients to other VAs if they are needing more comprehensive services until you are able to expand.

Thanks, Julie. I really appreciate what you said. That is exactly what I planned to do - when I'm ready. Your suggestion to refer clients to other VAs is FANTASTIC!!!!!!! It would look good for me - knowing my limits and being able to find the right person to give an answer if I don't know it. It also helps me to help out fellow VAs - then maybe if they have a job that I'd be able to handle, I'd be able to get some extra money by helping them out too. One hand washes the other...thanks for the idea!!! I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Thanks again!!!!