Paula W

Benefits of Blogs

Hi all,

I am very interested in this topic, because its coming up more and more. Before I jump into the detail of learning the technical issues of blogging, I'd like to ask a more general question. What exactly does a Blog do for me (for my website)? What are the benefits? I hear that it will increase SEO, but how exactly?

Hi all,

I am very interested in this topic, because its coming up more and more. Before I jump into the detail of learning the technical issues of blogging, I'd like to ask a more general question. What exactly does a Blog do for me (for my website)? What are the benefits? I hear that it will increase SEO, but how exactly?

If you attach the blog to your site and update it regularly, it's updated content which the search engines LOVE!

There are many other benefits, such as setting yourself up as an expert, showing a more personal side of you, allowing your target marketing to really know who you are.

Now, just like your business, you need to determine your target market. Who do you want to reach? What do you want to convey to them? How do you want to present it?

Just some food for thought...:)

Thank you both for your responses.

I am the type of person who really thinks before I "leap" into something. I can easily see that maintaining a blog would take a bit of time...if you do it right. I think updating your blog on a timely basis is critical. How many times have you visited a forum and see that the last post was 6 months or so ago. I know I can't hit the "back" button fast enough! So, before I start this blog thing, I like to make sure that; 1) Its worth the amount of time that must be put into it, and 2) I would enjoy it!

Now, excuse me while I go visit the WordPress site! :thumbup:

Thank you Heather and Becca...I truly appreciate you sharing your experience and knowledge!

Guest Ink Think

If you attach the blog to your site and update it regularly, it's updated content which the search engines LOVE!

I currently run my loosely business-associated blog through blogger at their site. Are you saying you think it increases SEO to host it on my own site instead?

I thought about it when I first started the blog (which I started as a way to flog the business and give prospective clients a chance to see my writing since my portfolio is pretty small) but my site was still under construction at the time so I left it with the blog host.

Also... Any thoughts and/or preferences about the various blog hosts? I currently have (gasp - I hadb't realized it had gotten this bad!) 3 on blogger, one on xanga, and one on myspace. I will say that compared to the other two the myspace interface is a ruddy nightmare from my perspective. I've used it once and it ate the post so I gave up...

Wouldn't a targeted newsletter that is updated regularly from my site provide the same results as a blog?

I don't know about the SEO thing:

1. Google Aging Delay

2. Huge competition for your keywords unless you are blogging on a really niche topic

But it can be a great way to syndicate your articles and to keep your customers engaged with your business in a fresher format (and simpler for you) than a Newsletter/Ezine, and you can also have user feedback and comments there which adds some community to your site, if appropriate.

Yes they can be high maintenance!! I have started and abandoned 3 personal blogs already, which are much more forgiving than starting and abandoning business blogs.

Morning, all!

This is my first post..ever!

I'd actually like to chime in on this topic and ask... Is it necessary to buy or download blogging software?

I'd really like to do a business blog (I've had a personal one for about six months and post at least two to three times a week on the trivialities of my life...lol!).

But instead of setting up an outside blog, I'd like to keep it inside my site.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hope the holidays were memorable for everyone. Mine was a quiet one, but then...that's the way I prefer it. :zz:

All the best,

But instead of setting up an outside blog, I'd like to keep it inside my site.

My personal preference is Word Press. It's free, it's open source and it's extremely powerful. But the main reason I like WP is because I like to be in control. I have control over the software and over the back up of the posts, etc. :)

You can also have Blogger attach to your website.

:thumbup:

My personal preference is Word Press. It's free, it's open source and it's extremely powerful. But the main reason I like WP is because I like to be in control. I have control over the software and over the back up of the posts, etc. :)

You can also have Blogger attach to your website.

Becki, thanks! I'll check them both out a.s.a.p.

Between the 2 I would go for word press, it won't leave you with the "Powered By Blogger" image. You do, however, have to run it off a server or host (it is not web based) so if you are looking for completely free, you should go with Blogger.

Between the 2 I would go for word press, it won't leave you with the "Powered By Blogger" image. You do, however, have to run it off a server or host (it is not web based) so if you are looking for completely free, you should go with Blogger.

Word press now will host blogs for you like blogger does. However it's not as powerful as wordpress on your own server is...

www.wordpress.com

your url would be blogname.wordpress.com

Hello.

I loved how you explained the blog topic, Heather.

I just completed my blog this weekend. Okay. Please no more snickers about how I screwed up the domain name. I learned. I learned. In fact, I probably had the biggest laugh of all!

While blogs are a lot of work, Paula, they are a form of marketing. We all know how much work marketing can be when researched throughly. I've been told its best to have both the newsletter and the blog. Sorta like a double-edged sword.

I guess another issue is how often to blog and how often to do a newsletter. Weekly? Bi-weekly? Monthly? I am still working full-time and thinking--sometimes not thinking--how often is often enough.

Leisa

That's "thoroughly" not the way I spelled it. I've been on the computer 11 hours straight with only six bathroom breaks. I can't see anymore. :blink:

Leisa

Me again. :clown:

That's "11 and 6" because in grammar you must use numbers for over 10, and if there is another number in a sentence don't spell it out!

Now it's 12 hours that I've been on this darn computer. I must get off!!! :wacko:

Leisa

Guest TerryGreen

You do, however, have to run it off a server or host (it is not web based) so if you are looking for completely free, you should go with Blogger.

I have a WordPress blog hosted in a sub-directory on my site, so it is a "completely free" blog. It can be, but doesn't have to be on it's on domain. The WP software was free, and the installation was free ... I installed it. I could host 50 WordPress blogs from my site, and they would still be free. I try and post three times per week. For the most part, I'm pretty successful at it, although I do miss a day or so from time to time. Since my blog is self-hosted on my site, whenever I post it's new content and indexed by the search engines. I prefer WP because it is free, it has more flexibility; and because it is open source, there are hundreds (probably more) of free plug-ins and themes (templates) on the Internet to choose from, and more being uploaded every day. Your WP theme or template can be left as it is, modified a little, or even made to look like it's a part of your website. With WP, you can use your blog AS your website. And, as either Heather or Becki mentioned, WP also has a site similar to Blogger that will host your site for you if you don't want to host your blog yourself. There are endless possibilities and flexibility with WordPress, where with Blogger ... what you see is what you get, and that's it.

Warmest regards,

Terry

Hello,

First, my apologies to Terry...I keep following you around reposting things about WordPress. I promise I'm not stalking you.

For some indication of what WordPress can do for you type "wordpress plugin" into your favorite search engine. You can narrow it down, such as wordpress plugin seo or wordpress plugin tags to see what's out there. There are so many ways to customize the site.

My favorite plugin attaches a static home page to your blog, effectively turning it into a "normal" landing page.