Sign in to follow this  

Yahoo hosting and blogs

Hi everyone,

I want to set up my blog (you've all convinced me how important it can be). My situation is this: my father purchased my web hosting as a Christmas gift for me to help get my business started. He's pretty old-school, only doing business online with companies he knows (meaning he's heard of them) and that are readily available for technical support. Yahoo fit both of these bills (was actually very helpful on the phone for him). I know it's not the best solution, but at this point, since I'm not paying, I'm not gritchin'.

Yahoo small business hosting offers blogs to subscribers. I have the choice of either Word Press or Movable Type. I have a couple of questions, keeping in mind that I am a complete novice when it comes to blogging:

1. Which service is best for newbies?

2. Which is easiest to integrate into my site (keep the visual aspects similar)?

3. Any clues how to set it up on Yahoo?

I have yet to even post on someone else's blog, so I really need help.

I'll be waiting hopefully for your wisdom.... :wub:

If you have PHP and SQL capabilities with Yahoo then I would go with Word Press. With either platform, if you want it to look exactly like your webpage, then more likely than not, you'll need to get a designer to do that for you.

Personally, WordPress to me is very easy to use and can integate into your site whereas, I'm not sure that you can do that with Moveable Type, but I could be wrong about that.

I prefer WordPress, personally. I work with clients that use TypePad and I'm just not a big fan of it (that and you have to pay) -- wordPress is free and I'm in control and I like that.

Thanks Heather - I did go with WordPress. And...(drumroll, please) I'm blogging! I'm so excited. :D

You can all see my blog at http://simplydelegate.com/blog/ .

Now, I just have to figure out exactly what a blogroll is, what a trackback is (and how to get them) and how to use my blog as a marketing tool.

There is a class at the local chamber next week about starting a business. I figured that would be a great opportunity to network (all those new entrepreneurs!). It's only $20, so I think it will be money well spent. Any tips? It will be my first offline networking event.

Your blogroll is other blogs that you want to link to.

Your trackback is....

let's say I want to link to your post from today. If I use your trackback link on my blog, then it will show up as a comment on your blog post. That's the short answer for it... :)

Now keep at it...

Great start, Cassi! I did notice that your link back to your site by your signature isn't working. It looks like your relative path isn't set properly, so it's looking for your homepage within the same folder as your blog.

Great start, Cassi! I did notice that your link back to your site by your signature isn't working. It looks like your relative path isn't set properly, so it's looking for your homepage within the same folder as your blog.

Thanks for catching that...it's fixed now.

Your blogroll is other blogs that you want to link to.

Your trackback is....

let's say I want to link to your post from today. If I use your trackback link on my blog, then it will show up as a comment on your blog post. That's the short answer for it... :)

Now keep at it...

Thanks Heather,

I guess it's time to learn more about blogging! :wacko: