A new email thingy I don't get ...

Ok, maybe I am the last person to figure these things out, which doesn't make sense given that I live and breathe much of my existence on the freakin' Internet.

Has anyone here noticed people adding "J" after they say something cute or funny in an email? And/or putting a "J" after their name at the end of the email?

Um, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?! "Jokes?" That's what I thought at first, but in some emails that just wouldn't make any sense given that the person is not joking!

Someone let me in on what this is. (Yes, I only learned what "LOL" meant a few months ago from my sister. Then the lights turned on and I figured out the rest of them, until "J" came along ... "LOL"!!)

Karri

I use Thunderbird and I get random J characters from people that use Outlook for some reason *shrug*

Yes, Outlook uses a capital J in the Wingdings (or one of its variants) font face for the smiley. You will see more than a few capital Js in web pages too. Since it's fundamentally a bad idea to alter the meaning of a character via a deprecated presentational attribute, Mozilla based browsers (Firefox, Netscape, Moz, SeaMonkey) also ignore Wingdings fonts in "standards mode."

A Wingdings/smiley bug was filed yesterday in Bugzilla; it should be marked as WONTFIX shortly. :)

HTH,

Carol

Edited by CMK

Wow, I had no idea. So, basically all those "J"s are really just intended smiley faces? Here I was reading into it, thinking it was some new email cultural thing I was out of the loop on. Ha!

Too funny (I use Thunderbird too ... Outlook caused me to rip my hair out one too many times).

Karri

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.