I've noticed that there are several members here who do not have a signature line. When you post in VA Networking, you are networking. Help us to get to know you better. Please include your name and your website link. If you don't have a website, don't fret...just post your name and email address (if you are afraid of SPAM, don't hyperlink your address).

I bring this up because there have been a few people that I wanted to contact about subcontract work based solely on their posts to this forum, however they have no signature line...nothing, nada, zilch. So even if I sent a PM, I have no idea of their name, etc.

To set up your 2 line signature line, just click on My Controls, which is located towards the top right hand side of the screen...directly under the VAS System link beside the view new posts link. If you have any questions or need assistance with setting up your 2 line signature line, please let me know.

:thumbup:

I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective on this, if I may.

My husband runs an online business, and I developed his ecommerce site for him. There was a huge learning curve with the software, and I posted many questions on various list servs and forums when I ran into a snag trying to do something. In my posts, I included our business name in my signature line, or sometimes a link to the site so that people could look at the page to better understand my question. In some cases, I made direct references to brand names of products we sell.

Imagine my chagrin when, upon launching our store and begining to monitor our position in the search engines, I discovered all of my stupid questions coming up in the SERPs. This hardly conveyed the professional image we were hoping to project, and it was mortifying to see some of my posts involving questions about specific products (clearly linked to my husband's store) appearing as the #1 or #2 search result in Google for that product name. This was not the way to make a sale. I learned very quickly to refer to products as "widgets" and to avoid using the business name in my posts whenever possible.

I view participation in this forum as a valuable learning opportunity. I feel fortunate to have found such a wealth of useful information, and so many experienced people who will give freely of their knowledge. I do not, however, have any desire to tarnish the professional image I hope to project to my future clients by having some inane post, question or comment I make, here or anywhere else on the net for that matter, be the first thing a potential client sees. It's simply not worth the risk to my business.

I will, however, at least start signing my name to my posts :)

Leanne

You raise a good point Leanne. Fact is, I do market this forum to the search engines too on a regular basis. Saying that, I think there is an option to have signature lines in the admin panel ignored by the spiders. I will look into this and see how it works.

You don't have to link your website. :) But thanks for putting your name Leanne :)

I would rather call you Leanne than PLS...:)

Ok - I finally added a signature line and had to post somewhere so I can see if it came out ok. Thanks for the suggestion Becca.

Ginger

Now - how do I make my web address a link?

(Remember our Den Mother say no question is ever stupid :whistlin: )

Edited by Ginger

You raise a good point Leanne. Fact is, I do market this forum to the search engines too on a regular basis. Saying that, I think there is an option to have signature lines in the admin panel ignored by the spiders. I will look into this and see how it works.

Hi Tawnya,

Did you ever figure out if there was a way to have our signature lines ignored by the search engine spiders?

Thanks!

Angela

Hi Tawnya,

Did you ever figure out if there was a way to have our signature lines ignored by the search engine spiders?

Thanks!

Angela

I spent a good couple of hours in the Invision Forum but couldn't find any info on this. If you wish to pursue this further and keep looking at the http://forums.invisionpower.com/ , please do and if you find something I will do my best to try and incorporate their suggestions.

Hi Tawyna,

I appreciate you checking into this. I skimmed & searched the Invision forum for awhile, but didn't come up with anything either. It sounds like you can add a Robots.txt file to keep the spiders from entering certain sections of the forum, but I don't see how you could write a script to keep them from seeing business names or signature lines. Do you know if you have to be a subscriber in order to post a question to the Invision forum?

I googled my business name, and one of my forum posts from VANF came up in the search. I'm not all that worried since I try to post half-way intelligent messages, but it still freaked me out a little bit! For some reason, I never even considered that when I started posting here. I still haven't decided how I feel about potential clients reading my posts. I'll have to mull it over for awhile!

I could easily change my signature line, but my user name is the same as my business name. I don't suppose there is a way to change my user name without losing my post history, etc?

Thanks again!

Angela