Tawnya Sutherland

Our PRESS RELEASE - Get Your VA Business mentioned in it too and help

Diana Ennen wrote a Press Release (see attached below) for all of us to promote our special month in May here at VAN. Thanks Diana!

The Press Release will be sent to tons of major media representatives around the world. However we would never be able to send it to every individual town/city newspaper, radio, tv and pressperson in the world. This is where I thought our members could participate and also get some extra PR by floating off the coat tails of VAN. Our Press Releases are always in the limelight because we are the largest network of VAs online so reporters always write something about us whenever we send them out. So, here's your chance to be in our Press Release...just remove Diana's comment (2nd paragraph from bottom) and replace it with yours. Don't forget to put your URL in it so reporters in your locale can contact you.

Next, send it out to all your local newspapers, TV/radio stations, business groups, etc. You may even find places online to submit it too like at www.newslink.org. We want to flood the world with this press release starting now until the end of the week. So if you got a few hours, why not market your company too by sending out the press release. You can download the Press Release below.

A couple of rules we ask you to abide to if you want to use this Press Release.

1. The only area you can change within the Press Release are the areas in red. We ask that you write a comment similar to what Diana wrote (2nd paragraph from the bottom), talking about the camaraderie, what you get from being a member here or whatever you enjoy, love or touches you here at the VAN Forum.

2. Please do not submit the Press Release to PRweb.com since we have already done this and if more than 1 are submitted we will all get cancelled because of duplication. Submit whereever else you like though.

3. Post your feedback/responses you get from sending out this Press Release. The last time this type of marketing event was done and I was involved in, a girl got into Time magazine and I got my VA business into 3 major newspapers, one of them was a full page colour pic and story. These are the types of Press Releases that catch the media eye too and get noticed where there is some type of special event (Catch the VAdala Buzz) that benefits another person (your VA business).

Thanks everyone and do take part in our global press release marketing plan to get your business noticed too!

Warmly,

Tawnya

PS: Any questions about this Press Release, just ask us. If you find other places to post press releases, do share here in the post too for others.

VANetworking_release_2000_members.doc

vainsiders.jpg
Get your first month for $7 using coupon code: TRYFOR7

That's a great press release. I'm going to definitely be leveraging this opportunity on Monday morning ;)

Thanks Diana and Tawnya!!

Karri

That's a great press release. I'm going to definitely be leveraging this opportunity on Monday morning ;)

Karri

Like I said, I remember when another VA did this too (think it was Vonetta Booker-Brown) and allowed us to all coat tail off her Time magazine article...I ended up getting 3 press releases featured in major newsletters at the time. Fact is, it took me no time at all since I didn't have to write the release or anything...just add my paragraph and submit to my local media.

vainsiders.jpg

Hi Tawnya,

Great idea and I will be doing it - I have one question though about the numbers. In the first paragraph it talks about 2,000 members, in the second paragraph it talks about the increase from 970 to 2,000, and then in the third paragraph is talks about 750 VAs in 14 countries. My question - or confusion - where does the 750 come from? I just want to make sure I understand the numbers - you know in case I have to talk to Time Magazine!

Thanks

Laurie

where does the 750 come from? I just want to make sure I understand the numbers - you know in case I have to talk to Time Magazine!

Laurie, I'm sure Tawnya will jump in here; but, I had to go look at what you were talking about and maybe it's that only 750 are registered in the directory (actually 735 according to the Directory today) I need to get my website and register this week!!!

Gotta hurry..gotta hurry... :bounce8:

I think the different numbers are on account of the fact that not all members are listed in the formal VA Directory ... ?

Can we adjust the punctuation and wording slightly in this paragraph as well Tawnya/Diana? It is a tad confusing. Here's my suggestion:

All VAN members enjoy the following benefits: access to over 38,000 posts full of information, correspondence with experts on work-related topics, weekly VA chats online, monthly contests, a subscription to the VAN Newsletter, discounts on business critical products and services, and a listing in the VA Search Engine--a directory of over 750 VAs from 14 countries including the U.S. and Canada. This is not to mention the opportunity to shop at the Virtual Assistant Shopping Network. And it’s all for free.

How does that sound?

Karri

I think the different numbers are on account of the fact that not all members are listed in the formal VA Directory ... ?

The different numbers from 735 - 750 is that there were 16 people waiting to be validated in the search engine directory and Lori only gets there to do it every 1-2 weeks. I have since validated these sites and now it displays 751 VA websites in our Search Engine Directory.

Was this the confusion or does it relate to the numbers over 2000+ and 750 now?

Tawnya

vainsiders.jpg

After rereading it a dozen times, I can still see confusion so have edited it adding Karri's paragraph instead which seems to lessen the confusion. I have uploaded the revised version so if you downloaded the first one, you may want to get the newer version now and download it again.

T.

vainsiders.jpg

Awesome Tawnya. Thanks.

One more question: are we to add the standard byline (personalized or otherwise) at the bottom of the release? Or does the last paragraph sort of take care of this?

Thanks,

Karri

I guess, for me, the confusion lies in why are there 2,000 members, yet only 750 listings? The way the press release reads, membership is free and currently there are 2,000 members - wouldn't it then stand to reason that there are 2,000 listings in the directory? If not, why? I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand what the author was trying to convey here as I don't quite understand. Is it that only 750 members have taken advantage of the opportunity to list their businesses in the directory? Do you have to pay to be included in the directory? I just don't follow.

Thanks

Laurie

Laurie:

I can't speak for everyone (or even Tawnya) regarding the 2000 vs 750 numbers, but I can tell you what I know from my standpoint.

I am a member of this VA Forum, which I'm thinking makes me part of the 2000. I am not registered in the Directory (750) nor have I tried to be registered yet because I have just started out (end of March). Consequently, I do not yet have a business name, url, etc., am working on a niche.

Hopes this helps.

Karen McG

Edited by KarenMcG

I guess, for me, the confusion lies in why are there 2,000 members, yet only 750 listings? The way the press release reads, membership is free and currently there are 2,000 members - wouldn't it then stand to reason that there are 2,000 listings in the directory? If not, why? I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand what the author was trying to convey here as I don't quite understand. Is it that only 750 members have taken advantage of the opportunity to list their businesses in the directory? Do you have to pay to be included in the directory? I just don't follow.

Thanks

Laurie

Laurie, this is the search engine directory http://www.mediamage.com/links/pages/ <- 750 VA websites

And there are 2000 members here at VAN. Not everyone will have a website that is a member here

Hopefully this helps you understand now? If not, please comment as right now, I am not understanding and it could be because I am tired and missing Desperate Housewives on TV right now because I'm here answering questions and trying to get the contest running LOL!

Awesome Tawnya. Thanks.

One more question: are we to add the standard byline (personalized or otherwise) at the bottom of the release? Or does the last paragraph sort of take care of this?

Thanks,

Karri

As for the by-line, I am assuming you mean your signature of some sort? Your business URL should be included in the red paragraph. Contacts will typically be made through that url if they want to speak directly to you or through your email address if you are emailing it out. The secret with press releases is not to have them act as advertisements with a whole bunch of links/contacts on them and instead hold onto a storyline of some sort interesting to readers....we wish to keep this one to 2, the www.vanetworking.com and your url in the red paragraph. Hope this answers your question.

vainsiders.jpg

As for the by-line, I am assuming you mean your signature of some sort? Your business URL should be included in the red paragraph. Contacts will typically be made through that url if they want to speak directly to you or through your email address if you are emailing it out. The secret with press releases is not to have them act as advertisements with a whole bunch of links/contacts on them and instead hold onto a storyline of some sort interesting to readers....we wish to keep this one to 2, the www.vanetworking.com and your url in the red paragraph. Hope this answers your question.

Yep it does.

My question was more of a formatting thing, as in which paragraph is considered the "resource box" which some online PR sites ask for. But I do agree that adding anything else in terms of more content would look to "market-y" instead of "newsy" which is what we want :)

Karri

I have a newbie question. As someone who has never submitted a press release, I'm not sure exactly how to go about this. There are several newspapers and radio stations in my area to whom I would like to send the press release. My questions are:

1. Whom should I contact? Do I call the general information number, or contact the appropriate editor directly?

2. If emailing the press release, in what format should it be sent? Do I copy it into the body of the email, attach as a doc file or pdf file?

I want to do my part to get the word out about the forum so that others can reap the benefits so many of us have. And let's face it, the publicity would be helpful to my startup business. I just want to make sure I'm doing this the correct way, and I thought maybe I'm not the only one who is new to this sort of thing.

Thanks!

Got it, thanks so much!

Edited by Laurie