Tawnya Sutherland

Our PRESS RELEASE - Get Your VA Business mentioned in it too and help

My question was more of a formatting thing, as in which paragraph is considered the "resource box" which some online PR sites ask for. But I do agree that adding anything else in terms of more content would look to "market-y" instead of "newsy" which is what we want :)

Karri

Still not understanding so find me on SKYPE at some point today and we can discuss ;)

vainsiders.jpg
Get your first month for $7 using coupon code: TRYFOR7

Sure ... the "technical" term for what I'm referring to is the "boilerplate." (I couldn't think of it yesterday.)

For one of my submissions today, I just used the last paragraph of the release for the boilerplate ;) (Some places specfically ask for this.)

Karri

Edited by Karri

Guest CindyHillsey

Thanks Tawnya for letting us use this. I will get it out to my local papers as well. :)

Don't forget to send me your feedback if you do get contacted by a Media Rep.

I sent it out to 753 Media Reps today from TV/Radio to Newspaper/Magazine. I also submitted to about 25 press release places online too.

This is gonna be big so make sure you do send it out to your own local papers/media to be part of the promotion too!!!

Tawnya

vainsiders.jpg

Wow! Thanks for this opportunity. I'm excited already. :thumbup:

My questions are:

1. Whom should I contact? Do I call the general information number, or contact the appropriate editor directly?

2. If emailing the press release, in what format should it be sent? Do I copy it into the body of the email, attach as a doc file or pdf file?

I want to do my part to get the word out about the forum so that others can reap the benefits so many of us have. And let's face it, the publicity would be helpful to my startup business.

This is what I do:

I will hunt down a newspaper/radio station, etc in my area and look for the editor contact email. This is who you should email the Press Release to. I never send attachments since most will just go to spam boxes. Copy and paste the Press Release right into the body of your email. If you like, give a short intro of who you are or not, totally optional. I do find though that if I'm a bit open and personal with a short paragraph intro before I post my release, I have more response since people don't think it is spam.

Look for local areas to find places to submit to since this will be your best opportunity to find media interested in your business.

To find media areas in your local, just type "radio stations, your city", "newspapers your city", "magazines your city" and you will no doubt come up with tons of possible places to submit your press release. You can also type into search engines "press release submissions" and find places too. Please remember not to submit to www.PRweb.com since we have a paid Press Release coming out on the 3rd through that submission website.

I highly urge members to send this out at least to their local newspaper. You'd be surprised what may happen ;)

vainsiders.jpg

Thanks Tawyna! I have time tonight, so I'll be sending it to everyone I know and our local media :D

Ok, I've sent my "version" of Diana and Tawnya's release to 20 different places (some online, some local, some far and wide).

I can't touch Tawnya's 753 but I did try to customize my mail outs wherever possible. So for example, if I personally knew the person I was sending it to (say for e.g. the local Economic Development office where I used to work), then I would write a little note at the top and customize the Subject field too.

Once you really think about it, you probably know all kinds of local people who might be interested in the story, especially if your name is in that second last paragraph!

How many contacts have you all made!? It would be interesting to tally at the end. I did most of mine yesterday but I am going to try and do a few more each day this week until I literally run out of ideas!

Karri

Tawnya - Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have a list of local places to send it and I will get started this morning. I am still researching more places to send it out to. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for providing such a wonderful opportunity for all of us!! :thumbup:

I can't touch Tawnya's 753 but I did try to customize my mail outs wherever possible. So for example, if I personally knew the person I was sending it to (say for e.g. the local Economic Development office where I used to work), then I would write a little note at the top and customize the Subject field too.

Karri

I'm up to 808 now ;) Only about 1/8 are customized however. I am just trying to get them out and about on the net as much as possible to bring awareness, that is my goal. The best route is to customize and send to your local papers like above.

Let me know your feedback too everyone!

I have a hour interview with an editor of a global online radio show tomorrow at 10am ... wish me luck!

If everyone wants, email me your databases and I will do my best not to duplicate. Also tell me your locale/area and if I have any for your area, I will share with you too.

Tawnya

vainsiders.jpg

Followup to my press release submissions:

I had a internet-radio show interview today and my business will be talked about (together with the VAN) on their station I think Monday, not sure yet. It was www.startupnation.com

Also a reporter from Vancouver Sun/Province has emailed me twice regarding my press releases so lets cross our fingers something appears in that paper...it would be huge!!!!!

Has anyone else has some bites yet??

vainsiders.jpg

You can still send out the press release all month long so if you have not done it yet, please do.

Has anyone had any response from their local media?

I got a response from our radio station here. http://www.kafe.com/links.asp and they even linked to us.

Also, Vancouver Sun has sent me two emails now and I am secretedly watching the newspaper hoping they do an article on us at some point.

Keep plugging away girls! Persistance is what prospers!

Please let us know if you have any feedback/bites or anything.

vainsiders.jpg

Darn, no bites yet!

But do send us the URLs or .pdfs of anything that transpires on your end as well Tawnya!

Karri

I have had bites but do not see anything in print yet. Its hard though since I don't get the newspapers so unless someone sees it and phones me, I wouldn't know if I was in them or not LOL!

I would highly recommend to keep sending them out since one may bite considering VA Day is on the 19th. Maybe we should add this to our current press release?

Remember to that you CAN follow up on press releases by resending it and following up. I've done that and had good success.

T.

vainsiders.jpg