Guest kelly3d

Can I use OpenOffice instead of MS Office?

Guest kelly3d

I don't have MS Office on my computer. I bought the PC at Circuit City and it came without the Office programs. I currently cannot afford to buy MS Office. I was wondering if it is feasible to use OpenOffice instead, when doing VA work? I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this question.

Kelly

Edited by kelly3d

I'm not truly familiar with this open source offering, but I did some investigating briefly and it looks interesting!

From what I can tell you should be able to use it for your work, just be sure to save the file in a format the recipient will be able to utilize as well.

I'm eager to read others responses to this as well :) I read through some old posts and there appear to be a few here that use it at least almost exclusively. Candy and Kali will hopefully chime in here with there input!

Edited by brandy

I'm not familiar with it either - but I think the key is to make sure that clients can read files you send, and you can read files that your client sends without the client having to stuff around too much in changing their file type.

You absolutely can! I believe you can even set it to default to saving it as a word document. Unforutnately, I've had to re-install Office again since I put on MS's SBA accounting program (long grumble, I'll spare ya)... but I still use OpenOffice... it's about half and half... it's a great opensource program... also, check out The Gimp, another great one (compare to PhotoShop)

I use open office

Not 100% compatible with MS so if you are doing detailed work for a client who insists on using MS, you'll have to buy a copy.

Check out http://virtualtoolshed.ca/pdfs/VT-PublicOffice.pdf

Therese

------------------------

Fair Warning

OpenOffice.org is not fully compatible with either Corel or Microsoft formats.

Depending on what version you are using and what you are trying to do your documents will be between 97 and ­100% compatible. The features most likely to differ are advanced formatting and complex formulas.

Like earlier versions of the commercial products, you may find that

OpenOffice.org will 'freeze' when trying to do complex tasks such as desktop

publishing and huge complex spreadsheets.

The solution is to MAKE BACKUPS or purchase the equivalent commercial

versions from Microsoft for $499 or Corel for $399.

Your choice.

To tag onto to something Candy brought up about The Gimp, I found this application very hard to understand/use. I don't have experience using PhotoShop or other such programs, but I can usually teach myself the basics and build on that over the course of time. The Gimp, however, totally flustered me. I gave up and uninstalled it. I ended up downloading a trial version of Corel.

With regard to OpenOffice, I have all of the applications loaded on my laptop. I'm currently using the word processor to proofread a project. If you're used to MS Word, you'll find that some items aren't in the same place (e.g., track changes). I haven't had an opportunity to use the others apps that you can download with OpenOffice.

HTH,

Tena

Yes, open source will work great as well as GIMP if you don't want to get photoshop. Theresa (moderator here) and I were just talking about this yesterday in my office. She is our forum expert in open source so if you have any questions, ask her...she knows her stuff!

Tawnya

I'm so glad to have found an expert!

I was recently working with someone who uses OpenOffice, and I use MS Word. It was my first experience with OpenOffice, and I couldn't figure out how to read a document she sent me. For the work I was doing it didn't matter, but for next time, how can I read an OpenOffice doc with MS Word?

I don't know if it's relevant, but the file she sent me had "sxw" as an extension.

Just my two cents but our accountant works for a large accounting firm here in town and open source software is all they use (Thunderbird, Firefox, and Open Office). If it's good enough for them it mustn't be too bad!

Karri

Re: The Gimp

The Gimp is highly specialized towards people that "know" graphics editing. Me? I know enough to be dangerous and I'm a former Photoshop user, so I understand it... but yes, when you first start it up it's really confusing, I agree!

Hi Tena, That's exactly what I did. :D But, alas, everything I found said it was an OpenOffice extension and suggested I needed OpenOffice to open it.

Open office creates files in .odt format which is the open document format

This format one is the standard everyone else is working towards.

Microsoft is famous for making it's file formats incompatable with other software vendors.

The software is "good enough" for my purposes and many others feel the same way.

- it's amazing that this stuff is free.

There is a learning curve some but people prefer not to go there!

T

I use Open Office and MS Office. I was also involved in a trial for Star office via a pc website.

If you are needing to use basic office documents, the Open Office is fine - it's not 100% compatible and you can lose formatting when reading an OO document in MS word or in Excel.

I would use it for now until you can get enough together to get a license for MS Office.

I am not keen on the Gimp but a client has it installed and I can find my way round it OK for resizing graphics etc.

I use Filezilla which is an open source ftp client and I love that! and of course Firefox!