Hi everyone!

Hope you're all having a great day.

I need to set up a system for file transferring from clients but, WOW, confusing stuff! :blink: I checked them out online and it seems pretty costly and geared toward large companies. Has anyone found a system that works well for home based businesses like ours that you don't have to sell your first born to afford?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains,

Rita

Ok, I was looking at other posts on VAN and I see that Terry Green, you recommend LogMeIn? I took a lookat it and it looks like what I want and need and it's affordable. Another question...have you used the backup portion? I really need to back up my hd!

Guest TerryGreen

Hey Rita!!

It might seem rather simplistic, but LogMeIn Pro and GoToMyPC both have file transfer capabilities in addition to remote access and file management between computers. LMI Pro is $69 a year, and GTMPC is $169 a year. Personally, I prefer LMI Pro. I use both for a couple of clients (one uses LMI and the other GTMPC) and LMI for myself. I can transfer files from their computers to mine and from mine to theirs. I transfer files back and forth between my desktop and my laptop all the time. It's great. If the client doesn't have either service, but you do, I'm 99% positive that you can send them an invite to log onto your computer and then you could transfer the files for them ... somebody correct me if I'm wrong! Either way, it's not expensive, and I would recommend either service to clients that have a need for file transfer or file management over something more expensive.

Warmest regards,

Terry

Hey Rita!!

It might seem rather simplistic, but LogMeIn Pro and GoToMyPC both have file transfer capabilities in addition to remote access and file management between computers. LMI Pro is $69 a year, and GTMPC is $169 a year. Personally, I prefer LMI Pro. I use both for a couple of clients (one uses LMI and the other GTMPC) and LMI for myself. I can transfer files from their computers to mine and from mine to theirs. I transfer files back and forth between my desktop and my laptop all the time. It's great. If the client doesn't have either service, but you do, I'm 99% positive that you can send them an invite to log onto your computer and then you could transfer the files for them ... somebody correct me if I'm wrong! Either way, it's not expensive, and I would recommend either service to clients that have a need for file transfer or file management over something more expensive.

Warmest regards,

Terry

WAY too funny...we must have been posting at exactly the same time, Terry! Thanks for the input about LMI. Yes, I'm sure the client wouldn't have it and I'm not sure would be interested so I would be interested in how that works.

Guest TerryGreen

Ok, I was looking at other posts on VAN and I see that Terry Green, you recommend LogMeIn? I took a lookat it and it looks like what I want and need and it's affordable. Another question...have you used the backup portion? I really need to back up my hd!

How funny ... I no sooner hit the add reply button when I saw your post. It really is a great program. I use an external hard drive with Norton's Ghost for my backups, so I haven't really looked at LMI's back-up service. I might take a look at it and see what it looks like.

You can try the trial version of LMI, but I don't know if includes the "pro" part. Either way, you can always start out at $15.95 a month and drop the subscription if you want to. I started out with the trial version and then went for the year's subscription because it was such a great deal.

Warmest regards,

Terry

Guest JoAnne Barton

Hi everyone!

Hope you're all having a great day.

I need to set up a system for file transferring from clients but, WOW, confusing stuff! :blink: I checked them out online and it seems pretty costly and geared toward large companies. Has anyone found a system that works well for home based businesses like ours that you don't have to sell your first born to afford?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains,

Rita

Hi Rita,

I've used sendthisfile.com in the past. It was quick and easy. Although, now I see they've changed their terms of use and have paid accounts. When I used it, it was all free and you didn't have to register.

I do see that they still have free accounts. You have to register for a free account, but in reading their privacy policy, there's really not place to go to "Opt-out" from receiving solicitation e-mails, so I didn't register.

This might be a temporary solution to your challenge.

Guest TerryGreen

Rita,

I just looked, and you can share a file with anyone as long as you have LMI. They get an invitation that allows them to access the file on your computer. From what I read, your client would have to have LMI too, if they wanted to share files with you. I would think that it would be a great investment for your clients if they wanted to share files with you ... it's not expensive, and it would also open the door for you to provide more services to them remotely. They would just give you the access information so you can log on to their system. I use it with two of my clients, and it's wonderful. I manage Outlook for them, transfer files I need to prepare documents for them, install downloadable software on their computers, you name it.

Warmest regards,

Terry

Hi Rita,

I've used sendthisfile.com in the past. It was quick and easy. Although, now I see they've changed their terms of use and have paid accounts. When I used it, it was all free and you didn't have to register.

I do see that they still have free accounts. You have to register for a free account, but in reading their privacy policy, there's really not place to go to "Opt-out" from receiving solicitation e-mails, so I didn't register.

This might be a temporary solution to your challenge.

The only problem I've found with sendthisfile.com, is that unless you pay for the service, the file transfer is slower than dirt!!!!! You'll pay the same thing or less with LMI or GTMPC, and get all of the other nifty features like remote access, file transfer, file management, etc. I also tried dropload.com, but the client never received the files ... not good!

Warmest regards,

Terry

Rita,

I just looked, and you can share a file with anyone as long as you have LMI. They get an invitation that allows them to access the file on your computer. From what I read, your client would have to have LMI too, if they wanted to share files with you. I would think that it would be a great investment for your clients if they wanted to share files with you ... it's not expensive, and it would also open the door for you to provide more services to them remotely. They would just give you the access information so you can log on to their system. I use it with two of my clients, and it's wonderful. I manage Outlook for them, transfer files I need to prepare documents for them, install downloadable software on their computers, you name it.

Warmest regards,

Terry

Terry, I was checking it out too and I saw that too, however, I wonder if the client can have the free version and send me files? I think so, but it wasn't clear on the site (at least I didn't see it). What do you think?

Joann, that sounds like YouSendIt. I was looking at that but started thinking that it might be time to set up more of an online office setting, however, if LMI doesn't work without the client subscribing too, I may have to reconsider. Thanks for the input from both of you, I really appreciate it.

I'm curious...for those of you who use file transfer or remote desktop programs, do you use them because your files are too large to send via email? Or is there some other reason?

Thanks!

Angela

I'm curious...for those of you who use file transfer or remote desktop programs, do you use them because your files are too large to send via email? Or is there some other reason?

Thanks!

Angela

Angela, yep, that's it for me, my client has a huge doc that she needs to send to me and my inbox just won't allow it because of the size.

Rita

Rita - If you don't mind me asking, exactly how huge is the file you're talking about?

Thanks again!

Angela

Rita - If you don't mind me asking, exactly how huge is the file you're talking about?

Thanks again!

Angela

I really don't know for sure. I just know that it's 30 - 40 pages of text and graphics that she has created for an ebook. She tried just emailing it but, nope, didn't work, too large. So I guess I need to set up something. I did do the Free LMI but the client would either need to have it too and send it using LMI or else she needs this IT Reach program that LMI has that allows me to access the client's computer and use file manager to get the file. Neither option is very good, in my opinion, I just don't want to ask the client to put anything on their 'puter. I'm still perplexed and thinking that my only option is to "rent" web office space, such as, Sharepoint or something like that. I'm so new at this stuff, I would so appreciate if someone can steer me in the right direction. :unsure:

Thanks, Rita

Depending on the features your webhost allows, you can set up a file upload system on your own website for transferring files back and forth -- no 3rd party needed!

Send me a pm if you'd like more details.

Rita - Thanks for the details. I'm trying to get all this stuff worked out before opening my doors, so I was trying to imagine a scenario where email couldn't handle the file size. I need to check my email to see what the maximum attachment size is!

Leanne - If you wouldn't mind, it would be great if you could post some more details about setting up a file upload system on a website. Are you talking about setting up a personal FTP site? This might be an ideal option to avoid getting a third party involved!

Thanks!

Leanne - If you wouldn't mind, it would be great if you could post some more details about setting up a file upload system on a website. Are you talking about setting up a personal FTP site? This might be an ideal option to avoid getting a third party involved!

Thanks!

Angela, I have a php script that I have customized to allow me to set up individual folders on my website for each of my clients. Within those folders, I put copies of their invoices, copies of contracts, proofs, progress updates, notes, etc. Each client has a login, and can only view his or her own folder. Clients use the script to upload graphics and copy that they want me to use for their site. The script allows me to restrict file types and / or upload size, and I have set it up to allow much larger files than many email servers allow. The script is also useful if you're working collaboratively with a client on a document. Each of you can download the document, make changes, and upload it again -- that way, you know you're always working with the most current version.

The client files are stored in a part of my site that is inaccessible to the public, so the documents are kept secure and can only be accessed via login. The script requires that you have the ability to write to folders above the root level of your web directory, and that you have the ability to change the read/write permissions of those folders. It also requires that your host offer php4 or higher.

It still has a bug or two that I'm working on solving, but the bugs don't overly interfere with the function of the script. If you'd like to take a peak at it, I set up a sample login for Rita, and if you send me a pm I'll give you the info.