Guest TerryGreen

IAVOA - VA Conference in Dallas Texas, October 12 - 15, 2006

Since I'm here in Dallas, I can tell you that wearing jeans should be fine based on the 'rules' in the corporation I used to work in. The corp I worked for - and my husband still works for - was very business casual in most depts. And I'm talking - casual. Some of the guys would wear cut off jeans without hemming them. That was too casual for me though. I usually wore darker colored jeans and a nice shirt. Keep in my though - that was in the very 'technology' parts of the business - where all of us techie geeks hung out. When it came to sales people or people that had lots of exposure to the customer, then they dressed 'business professional' - no jeans. And as I moved into the business side of the corporation I was expected to dress up more. But I still pushed over to business casual and wore more relaxed clothing.

Angela

Guest TerryGreen

I may be wacky, but I'm probably going to wear some dressy slacks and a blouse or a comfy dress for the sessions, and probably a suit or something dressier for the networking social and banquet. I don't get to wear real clothes very often, so I do, whenever the opportunity arises. Then again, I will be bringing jeans too ... so you never know. It all depends on how the mood strikes me. I live in the country, work out of my home (in whatever I happen to be wearing at the time :o, and my husband and I don't go anywhere that requires me dressing up ... I really miss it!

Warmest regards,

Terry

I agree, Angela... Dallas/Austin/Houston business culture is very laid back. Not QUITE as laid back as it was when I lived in Hawaii (*laugh* being 30 minutes late is acceptable there - seriously).

I noticed that some of the ladies that arrived at the IVAA Summit when it was in Houston must have felt overdressed - some quickly found other clothes to wear :-)

Terry - I'll still like you if you wear nice things. (I'm sure everyone else will too!)

My "nice clothes" are from two babies ago, and I cannot even express in words how much I hate shopping for clothes, so everything I have now are gifts. At first my friends and family gave me nice pj's for gifts as a kind of joke, like "ha ha you work from home...suuuure that's going to work out...here's a new suit"

I enjoy wearing them knowing that they're a sign of my personal success.

Everyone dressing in what they're most comfortable in will make for a whole bunch of happy VAs!

I'm so glad you are all discussing what to wear... that has been bothering me. I live in jeans... so I will be most likely wearing jeans... any ideas what the temp outside will be (I know most of our time will be spent inside)... I may bring a nice outfit for going out at night... but nice to me usually means jeans and nice shirt (hee hee)... remember most of the people attending this are VA's and think about what most VA's wear to work everyday...

I agree with Terry! I never get to dress up and get out these shorts and sweats...nows the time! I think I will bring a skirt of some sort and maybe my blazer/pant suit unless I can fit into that sequinned gown of mine I've been saving for that special occasion ;)

T.

vainsiders.jpg
Get your first month for $7 using coupon code: TRYFOR7

I'm very excited because the conference means that I have an excuse to buy new outfits. Last year, my daughter picked them out for me... :) It's silly, but since I never go anywhere, there's no reason to buy new clothes. In fact, Tim just said to me that my shoe addiction had dwindled in the past year...and it has...it's flip flops all the way for me right now... :)

I think I will bring a skirt of some sort and maybe my blazer/pant suit unless I can fit into that sequinned gown of mine I've been saving for that special occasion wink.gif

Well, a Canuck did win the Miss Universe pageant last year you know. Maybe I'll take my wedding gown to the dry cleaners and get it all spruced up for the Meet 'n Greet.

Then again, I feel the most comfortable in jeans, heels, and a nice shirt. But especially if I'm gonna be drinking anything stronger than an apple juice. :naughty:

Karri

All,

Well I registered for the conference today including the two social events (Friday and Saturday)! Now I need to hook up with Michelle to find out if anyone needs a roomie or I get a room to myself. I also need to make airline reservations, so I'm keeping an eye on ticket prices.

I'm very excited about being able to attend, and I'm so looking forward to meeting everyone here! Bar my employer getting sold and time off being put on hold, wild horses can't keep me away from Dallas!

WooHoo!!!!!

Tena

PS As far as dress for the conference, I'm afraid I'm with Karri! I'm most comfortable in jeans, so I'm sure that's what I'll bring!

I'm sure Kelly Poelker won't mind me copying her post at IAVOA here with regards to flight info for the conference so here's this week's airlines specials, some good deals from several locations!

Dallas Love, TX (DAL) San Antonio, TX (SAT) $79

Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX (DFW) Atlanta, GA (ATL) $189

Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX (DFW) Houston Bush Intercont'l, TX (IAH) $89

Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX (DFW) Huntsville, AL (HSV) $199

Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX (DFW) Jackson, MS (JAN) $189

Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX (DFW) McAllen, TX (MFE) $159

Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX (DFW) Memphis, TN (MEM) $199

Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX (DFW) NW Arkansas Regional, AR (XNA) $199

Also, if you're renting a car while you're at VA Conference 2006 (or anywhere) you can get a VA Group Discount if you are a IAVOA member. If you are not a member yet, you should be and here's the link to become one...read about their member benefits at IAVOA.

Tawnya

vainsiders.jpg
Get your first month for $7 using coupon code: TRYFOR7

Geez - I never even thought about what to wear. I guess pj's won't cut it. Looks like there's a shopping trip in my future.

Hi All,

Well I just read all the posts to this topic since I haven't been able to for a while. I am getting more motivated to attend. I am hoping I can make this happen after I get off here I will go check flights. I will tell you after living in Arlington Texas for 9 years, this time of year is usually in the 90's and 3 digit temps...YES I said look for 3 digit temps. Last place I worked in Texas before moving to Maine was resort casual as far as work attire. As I said in one of my previous posts to this subject I do have a friend still living in Arlington and she keeps me posted on the temps. I hope I can make this happen and get to meet each one of you that is going. Can someone refresh me on how to register?? Thank you.

Patricia Dearborn

Ocean Administrative Solutions

Steady and Reliable as the Tide!

Patricia,

You can register at the VA Conference 2006 website. It's also included under VAs Globally on the VAN Toolbar!! Remember that you can register for the conference and each of the hosted dinner/evening events at the same time. I forgot and had to pay for the two events separately. I guess I was overly excited! :P:blush:

I, too, am checking into flights. It's weird to think that the flight costs more than the conference! :blink:

I look forward to seeing you there!

Tena

WEATHER INFORMATION IN OCTOBER:

During October the weather in Dallas is very comfortable. Although you may have a few high days of 85-88 degrees the average temperature during the month is 56 low to 78 high. Also, October is the second highest month for rainfall, so -- just in case -- bring an umbrella.

Also - during the time of the conference the State Fair of Texas is going on. I just love going and checking out all the rides, corny dogs and the car show!!! Here is the website: http://www.bigtex.com/

I'm really getting excited about meeting ya'll! :blush:

Blessings today!

Johnnie

Also - during the time of the conference the State Fair of Texas is going on. I just love going and checking out all the rides, corny dogs and the car show!!! Here is the website: http://www.bigtex.com/

Wow - the State Fair - that sounds like fun! The Fair is always a great way to learn about the state. I love to check out all the booths and crafts.