Sign in to follow this  
kimmer

Originality???

I just read an article by......http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/

In it he states..(here's a snippet)...

About that smiling face on your website. Is it one of your customers? Or perhaps it’s staff? No? You’re telling me it’s an actor, a face that you bought from some photo CD ROM. And that actor is pretending to smile while pretending to be a customer or staff member.

Personally, I don't like seeing all those "stock" photo's of people on websites!! I'd rather see REAL customers, and the REAL owner's of the site!

I realise this is the "NORM", but I just hate doing whatever everyone else is doing!! No creativity, no originality!!

Since I've been messing around with Frontpage and reading about website creation, I've found it's the same ole thing, Use verdana/geogia fonts, use only 10-11 pts in your fonts....etc. Why do we all have to be the same??!!

I also realise that some ways of doing things...ei...font sizes/the easier ones to read, etc. should be taken into consideration when building a site! Some sites I've visited the fonts are sooo small you can barely read them! ( and those are the high fullutin/expensive sites)!!

I guess what I'm going on about is, why people feel they "have" to go with the "norm" status quo" etc.

I wish there was just more originality and personalization on the "World Wide Web"!!

Yikes....OK, I'll get off my :soapbox:

Edited by kimmer

I understand where you are coming from Kimmer; however, the other side of the coin is understanding what "sells" to the population. If everything could be sold or marketed to the world using the owners of the products and services, well we would not have models or actors selling anything.

Having worked for Mattel Toys, let me assure you, if the original doll maker and designer of Barbie, husband and wife team had used their mugs to sell Barbie, well, we would not have a Mattel Toys today. ;)

As far as the fonts, colors, etc., there have been tons of studies and designers studies that have helped determine what makes a site good! There are just certain rules that should not be broken. Then of course, the really good designers now how and when to break the rules. ;) That is how we get advancement in technology, fashion, design, art, etc.

I know it is frustrating at times, especially if one is a VA. Our business is about breaking the rules of the standard that has been set for years! :D

Good points Naomi!!

Speaking of commercials and such, I always just loved the "Wendy's" commercials with owner Dave Thomas! It just made the ads more personal!

That is a good example Kimmer of when the owner's mug does work! :D Too bad that is not always the case. There is a reason there is only one picture of me on my site, and I still went back and forth as to whether or not to put it up there. I may have a professional picture taken when I lose some real weight, if I ever lose the weight.

Having been on both ends of the spectrum, nice and slim and everyone obnoxiously salivating over my image, and thinking I must be dumb because I look that good, or my being extremely overweight, and everyone judging me for how I look once again, and assuming my weight must mean there is something "wrong" with me.

It is amazing how much societies are based on the way a person looks, rather than who they are inside. Gotta go with the flow. ;)

I love that pic of you Naomi! Your beautiful!!

I miss my long hair!

I understand that it is probably a good idea to have a pic of yourself on your site as we are trying to sell ourselves, unfortunately I am not quite comfortable with that yet. I too am very critical of myself but hope to bite the bullet one day soon and post a pic that I like (who ever really likes pictures of themselves anyway?).

I really like your pic Naomi :D Very professional and friendly.

Jennifer

I'd love to see a pic of you Jen!

Are you tall?? I picture you being tall. Funny how you get a picture in your mind of someone!

Hey guys, don't get me wrong. I really like that picture of me, otherwise I would not have put it on my site. I also made sure to crop it well so no one could see the rest of my body. Having been out in the real world as a larger size woman, I simply know what people think initially. Mainly because they have told me to my face. ;)

I guess I was simply trying to say that sometimes, it takes a lot of going back and forth on what images to use for a site. Whether to use your own image, or an image from that good ole CD. I personally like a combination of both.

P.S. If you could see a picture of me from 14 years ago, you would realize what I am saying when I am comparing what I use to look like. Sigh (only saying this in jest, I love myself no matter what size!) LOL

I'm also divided on this one .... it's nice to see the face behind the voice on the phone, but I'm never happy with any photo of me (since I'm getting married in 5 weeks time, that's probably not a good thing!). Also, I would keep it small and only on one page, as I want the site to look professional, so I don't want too many personal bits on it .... I want to promote my service rather than me. It's a difficult decision, and I'll probably end up putting a smallish pic of me on the About Us page. :unsure:

This is exactly the type of situation I am trying to avoid in designing my website...I want it to be original... As for photos..I'm using my own (pics of my computer, desk, briefcase laptop) and I think I will put a picture of me in my professional profile area...it's nice to see the face behind the desk :) I'm still tweaking it and to be honest, I haven't had time to work on much in the last few weeks, but hopefully I will finish it up next month!

Hi Kathleen:

I did take a picture of my office and put it on the entry page to my website. I also used Adobe PhotoShop to put some effects on the image and give it a warmer, creative look. I have gotten a lot of compliments on that image. People say it looks warm and inviting. This may be one other consideration for your site. Instead of just putting the picture on the site, what can you do to the image that will make it look even different? More than just a snapshot of you and your office. :D You can get amazing effects by changings hues, adding texture, etc.

I like the mixture of original images and professional images. Thanks for bringing this up Kimmer. This has been a good discussion.

Yes Naomi,

I meant to tell you that about that pic, It caught my eye right away when I first saw your site! ;)

Hey Kim!

I'll let you know when I have posted my pic on my site. I might consider changing my avatar to a personal pic as well.

I wish I was tall.....I'm about 5'5" B)

Jennifer